Discuss help - im stuck changing a light switch for my bathroom (with fan) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hello all, pardon my ignorance in not employing an electrician, however, im a diy'er whos changing the light switches in my house and came across this unusual wiring for my downstairs loo. its a single light which has a fan which can be isolated as necessary. I ordered all the new chrome light switches and realised this wiring was a bit different to my first floor bathroom. I gave it a go but the fuse board tripped when i wired it all so something must not be right. any ideas where each wire goes? I apologise for being a complete beginner in this instance!
Ive attached photos of the original set up and the new chrome fitting.
Thanks in anticipation :)
Andy

Attachments

• IMG_4378.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4376.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 22
That’s not a light switch, mate. That’s a switched fuse connection unit by the looks of it.

Take it back to screwfix and get a “2 gang lightswitch”

It will possibly come as a 2 way variety of switch, so just ignore the L2’s.

Come back to us when you’ve got the right thing.

Reactions: DPG
Its only a single light. I bought a switched fuse fitting as its the same as whats on currently but the wiring looks completely different. A 2 gang lightswitch isnt what was on before?

That’s not a light switch, mate. That’s a switched fuse connection unit by the looks of it.

Take it back to screwfix and get a “2 gang lightswitch”

It will possibly come as a 2 way variety of switch, so just ignore the L2’s.

Come back to us when you’ve got the right thing.
What the right hand pic shows is a click 2 gang 'grid' plate with (looking at the back) a fuseholder on the right and a 2 pole switch on the left.
So the OP has an equivalent product, but maybe not access to all the terminals he needs to replicate the circuit.

Its only a single light. I bought a switched fuse fitting as its the same as whats on currently but the wiring looks completely different. A 2 gang lightswitch isnt what was on before?
You have bought a sort of equivalent thing!

The original is made up of two modules connected together to do the required switching.
Presumably one pole of the 2 pole switch does the light, and the other pole does the fan through the fuse.

If you used the one you've bought, you would have to use the neutral pole of the switch for live, which is probably not a good idea.

What are you trying to achieve by changing it. If it's the appearance, there's a wide range of metal fronts for those click switches.

You have bought a sort of equivalent thing!

The original is made up of two modules connected together to do the required switching.
Presumably one pole of the 2 pole switch does the light, and the other pole does the fan through the fuse.

If you used the one you've bought, you would have to use the neutral pole of the switch for live, which is probably not a good idea.

What are you trying to achieve by changing it. If it's the appearance, there's a wide range of metal fronts for those click switches.
Yes purely changing for aesthetics as the other light switches are all now chrome.

Here's examples of the different front plates, and the different switches etc.
You might be able to just transfer the switches you have to a different front, though if you want chrome finished switch and fuseholder, you'd have to buy them. They're not mega expensive!

Edit - just realised these are not the same range as the original switch, so don't use this link!!🫢

Last edited:
I think I'm right in saying you cannot use the fused spur you have bought to replicate the circuit that's wired.
You appear to have a fan with an over-run timer, so that it continues for a set time after the light is switched off.
For that you need an unswitched but fused live connection, but there's no such terminal on your new switch/ fuse for that.

I think your best bet is to replace just the front plate on the arrangement you have.
or get an electrician!

IMG_0234.jpeg

Reply to help - im stuck changing a light switch for my bathroom (with fan) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net