Discuss Light works but extractor in EnSuite isn't in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Noob2020

DIY
Reaction score
Good Evening

I recently removed and replaced a ceiling rose light with a new light that has a metal base, In my old property I had three cables so it threw me a bit when this property only had 2 twin & earth cables.

When I initially wired the light I thought it would just be a case of matching the corresponding wires with the Live, Earth & Neutral on the light but as I found out this just meant that when I flicked the power back on the light stayed on all the time, Home DIY'r at its best :-(

I went back and placed just the switch live into the live and left the others in the corresponding ports (as per pictures), the two live wires I had left I place in a WAGO connector.

So my light now does work as expected but the two wires I have left must have something to do with the extractor in the ensuite as that doesn't come on now, the lights in there do work though however.

My question is based on my picture could someone tell me what I need to do to wire it correctly so that both my light and the extractor work as they did before when it was connected to the ceiling rose.

Thanks in advance

20210314_180605_resized.jpg
20210314_180605_resized_1.jpg

first check if there's a fan isolator.usuallytop of walloutside bathroom or could be in attic if fan is ducted up there.

1615750890222.png

What you've done there is exactly as it should be and would have no effect on the operation of the fan. Are you absolutely sure there wasn't a third cable there or has the fan isolator been turned off accidentally ?
If not it may just be an unfortunate coincidence that your fan has failed.

What you've done there is exactly as it should be and would have no effect on the operation of the fan. Are you absolutely sure there wasn't a third cable there or has the fan isolator been turned off accidentally ?
If not it may just be an unfortunate coincidence that your fan has failed.
Evening

Yeah those cables haven't moved and are the only two that where fitted in the original rose pendant light.

I wasn't sure if the two lives that I had left went to that fan or something.

you could be missing a cable somewhere or a poor connection at the switch. without getting eyes on, difficult to advise. if you could post your location, one of us maybre close to pop round.

I can't see how the lighting wiring pictured could negatively influence the fan, the way the light is wired would indicate the fan being on a separate switch ?

Is there no buzzing or vibration coming from the fan at all?

can you, safely, remove the switch from the wall and show us the connections there.

if the fan has a run on timer, it needs a 3 core and earth with a live, switched live and neutral- which you have at the light, so I don’t see why they would go to the switch.

can you, safely, remove the switch from the wall and show us the connections there.

if the fan has a run on timer, it needs a 3 core and earth with a live, switched live and neutral- which you have at the light, so I don’t see why they would go to the switch.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, No there is no activity from the extractor at all.

I have taken some pictures as requested

1st pic is the ensuite light switch
2nd pic is the isolator switch

I also took a picture of the extractor as the light works just not the extractor.

20210315_084643.jpg

20210315_085024.jpg

20210315_085904.jpg

Back of the isolator looks very busy. I wonder if a cable has popped out.

ah.... so the extractor has a light built in. I didn’t catch that earlier.... and you’ve changed another light in the same room?

Some of those combined types have a transformer as well to reduce the voltage to 12v as safety, and there could also be a fuse in the circuit somewhere... (attic?)

I think before you go any further, you might have to get someone in. Bathroom light wiring is not as simple as it may first appear.

Reply to Light works but extractor in EnSuite isn't in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net