Discuss Lighting circuit issue - please help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kane1990

bathroom lighting.png
Gents

I have an issue with my lighting circuit upstairs. Truthfully I have caused it myself but I am hoping some of you guys will have an answer.

1) refurbing bathroom, removed walls and removed light switch and ceiling rose from both the separate bathroom and toilet room.
2) all upstairs bedroom lights were working when a rogue cable (labelled in diagram) was connected up with the remainding twin cable and 2 single reds.
3) Disconnected the rogue loose cable and lost all upstairs lighting.
4) connected it up as shown in diagram and bedroom 1 and 2 lights work, bedroom 3 does not. Havent got as far as putting in bathroom ceiling rose yet.

Any advice and direction would be appreciated.

Diagram attached

Cheers
Kane

How many cables do you have left at your bathroom ceiling rose?

If i was to hazard a guess, I would suspect your supply for bed 3 is looped off your bathroom ceiling light as part of a 3-plate wiring system. When the fitting in the bathroom is up, i would expect your light in bed 3 to come on.

I'm guessing your 'rogue' cable was the supply for upstairs lighting and you have interupted the circuit somewhere in the middle with the bathroom light? Giving you some lights on and some lights off.

hope that helps

Hi Hobsoni

Thanks for reply! I currently have no bathroom ceiling rose. I actually have exactly what is in the diagram. The 'rogue' cable was connected up amongst the cables in the diagram. What do you think the single red cables are doing?

Cheers
Kane

Is this diagram showing?
View attachment 15340
Gents

I have an issue with my lighting circuit upstairs. Truthfully I have caused it myself but I am hoping some of you guys will have an answer.

1) refurbing bathroom, removed walls and removed light switch and ceiling rose from both the separate bathroom and toilet room.
2) all upstairs bedroom lights were working when a rogue cable (labelled in diagram) was connected up with the remainding twin cable and 2 single reds.
3) Disconnected the rogue loose cable and lost all upstairs lighting.
4) connected it up as shown in diagram and bedroom 1 and 2 lights work, bedroom 3 does not. Havent got as far as putting in bathroom ceiling rose yet.

Any advice and direction would be appreciated.

Diagram attached

Cheers
Kane

Hi Hobsoni

Thanks for reply! I currently have no bathroom ceiling rose. I actually have exactly what is in the diagram. The 'rogue' cable was connected up amongst the cables in the diagram. What do you think the single red cables are doing?

Cheers
Kane

Now i have seen your diagram (dunno why it weren't there before??).........I'm actually with drew35 on this one, not quite sure what is going on. Without digging yourself any further, have you taken down the fitting in bed 3 to see whats behind there? If you got 2 red singles going to bed 3 (and the light worked prev) then one of em has got to be a neutral.

If in doubt don't touch owt!

Your mixing up switch lines and lives.... As suggested get your local ''Trusted'' electrician in to sort out your dilemma, as trying to explain things out to you, will/could be exhausting on a forum. ...It'll not cost you much and give you peace of mind that all is well with your electrical installation....

Hi mate looks like the rogue cable as you say is part of the main loop in and out and your 2 seperate single reds are the switch lives
But i cant be certain loking at the diagram as it isnt the best

as others have stated if your not sure what you are doing best get a electrician to have a look as he will be able to trace the cables
it would have been better if you had drawn a diagram of the way the fitting was connected prior to removal
a common mistake by DIYers

if in doubt get an electrician out lol

good luck

Hi Brucelee.

I am intending to get an electrician. Although, as I am on my lunch break and really curious to understand what is going on is there anything else I could maybe tell you in order to give you more to go by?

Sorry about the rough paint drawing lol.

Cheers
Kane

As my learned friends say, get someone out. It won't take an electrician long to sort this out and even if said spark is expensive you're still looking at change from £50. How much change is debateable mind you but at least you'll know it's been done right

Disconnect all the cables take out fuse / mcb

Remove all lamps / disconnect any trannies
turn all switches on
test each cable , continuity on the cables indicate switch lines , the rest will be loop in loop out

Disconnect all the cables take out fuse / mcb

Remove all lamps / disconnect any trannies
turn all switches on
test each cable , continuity on the cables indicate switch lines , the rest will be loop in loop out

But the real question do you have a tester?

seperate all the cables , take out all the lamps , isolate circuit, turn all switches on test for continuity on each cable , open circuit cables will be loop in loop out

Reply to Lighting circuit issue - please help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net