Discuss Loading. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bsharp

-
Reaction score
Could anybody tell me if this seems to make sense.

60Amps x 230volts = 13800Amps or 13.8Kva (per apartment)
The landlords supply would be negligible with only LED lighting and power to standby batteries (fire alarm)
But say
5Amps x 230 volts =
1150Amps or 1.15Kva
Therefore a total of
(13.8x4) + 1.15 = 56.35Kva

This is pretty much purely academic as the above is the calculated value but the network provider will allow for diversity (I.e. not everything being used simultaneously) and therefore probably only provide a 5.5Kva supply at street connection.
They should really know this as it is only a domestic situation. Hope this makes sense.

What country is this in.
Uk networks will not give. A supply of 5.5kva

Normally no less than 80A will be provided

Uk (well Wales ?)
Yes I agree with what you are saying my calcs where the 13.8Kva (based roughly on the 60 amps)
The 5.5 Kva is based on sorting I was told by a designer for SP networks who told me believe it or not they only allow on 5.5 KVA for a domestic property!
But that’s not the reason I was asking it was the reply I had from the architects which surprised me they have questioned my 13.8Kva and have had an “engineer” calculate the demand at 3Kw’s or approx 13amps per property!!!

You need to be clear on what the stated load represents, to avoid comparing apples with oranges. The maximum demand governs the current rating of the supply to a particular installation, while the long-term average governs how much distribution capacity is needed to power that installation as part of the DNO's network. It's just diversity on a bigger scale: 100 installations each equipped with an electric shower will each need a minimum of 60A service to function at all, but the running current of the whole lot will rarely exceed a few hundred amps.

You need to be clear on what the stated load represents, to avoid comparing apples with oranges. The maximum demand governs the current rating of the supply to a particular installation, while the long-term average governs how much distribution capacity is needed to power that installation as part of the DNO's network. It's just diversity on a bigger scale: 100 installations each equipped with an electric shower will each need a minimum of 60A service to function at all, but the running current of the whole lot will rarely exceed a few hundred amps.
Agreed apples being my Calc on the max demand of the individual installation and oranges being the architects engineer.

Reply to Loading. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net