Discuss Identification of cut outs and ev chargers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Those involved with ev charger installs will be aware that we should carry out a site / pre works survey to ascertain the current max load with diversity taken into account and strictly speaking should submit the DNO notification beforehand to give them a chance to come back and tell you a yes, no or permit a 16 amp charger but not a 32 amp etc.. also in the event of a looped supply WPD the DNO around here will often send an engineer out to look at the cut out. is also good where the cut out is very old or a fused neutral as they are still out there.
A lot of companies and installers will just fix the charger to the wall, connect it to a circuit and be gone and cashing the cheque, the customer is none the wiser about cutout, max demand or earthing arrangements as the charger works.

WPD are quite good compared to some in that they provide an online map to tell you whether the local grid has capacity on a traffic light system, if its red then they may refuse the charger being installed full stop. Green then its no problem.
I have only heard of them once coming out and making a company (letting agents with a small office and several evs for lettings viewings etc) disconnect 3 x 32 amp chargers. these were notified after install and the local area was already close to max demand, agents were told disconnect them or have supply turned off.

The ENA on behalf of all the DNOs do produce a useful pdf about cut out types and likely ages which I have included in this thread. it might be of use to people.

Attachments

• Identification of Cut out type and age.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
Most notifications can be done within one calendar month after installation except in certain circumstances.

Most notifications can be done within one calendar month after installation except in certain circumstances.
for a long time i took that view using the standard DNO form, if all the boxes are ticked correctly then you can notify it after install to the DNO. part p still 30 days.
Obviously if its a looped supply or a ow rated fuse, or not known then you ought to seek clarification from the DNO first.
Had a letter from WPD the DNO around here in October or November last year asking me to send them the notification form before install where normally it would be fine to do afterwards if it falls in one of the amber areas or red areas on there online map as they are trying to maximise and manage capacity in central bath which is already a bit over stretched. they are struggling to meet demand.
Its this lack of network capacity which has stopped the council installing lots of on street and public chargers. they dont have capacity.

SSE are much more relaxed along the road in Wiltshire.

Reply to Identification of cut outs and ev chargers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net