Discuss 13amp or 40amp socket for EV charger whilst using an extension cable. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ej1749

DIY
Reaction score
I am looking for advice on getting an upgraded 25 meter extension cable from my office into my car park to charge my EV from an IP66 rated socket, from a standard Tesla 3 pin plug - plug in charger. I know not to use normal off the shelf extension cables as they're naff, melt and are a fire hazard. I know people who have been charging EV's from an extension cable for 10 plus years with zero issues. I have tried to study the regulations, but regardless is the below question possible to do safely, as the Americans are doing it.

13 amp standard socket - Is there a fire risk?
If I went with a standard 13 amp wall socket to get 10 amps charging power, then plugged in an extension lead completely upgraded, with an upgraded 3 pin plug, upgraded thick 25 meter cable and a decent IP66 out door socket, would there be any fire risk especially inside the building if done by an electrician?
Also, how thick would the cable need to be in order to not lose an amps? Also, would there be any other reason why I may lose amps elsewhere, without upgrading the indoor wall socket for example?

40 amp wall socket for faster charging - The Tesla chargers max charging output is 32 amps.
If I got the wall socket inside the office upgraded to produce 40 amps to get faster 32 amps charging power, with an upgraded extension cable like mentioned above would this still be safe? Also, jumping from 13 amps to 40 amps, would I need even thicker cables and higher rated IP66 outdoor sockets etc? If done correctly, is there more chance of a fire than just doing the 13 amps option mentioned above.

Any guidance on what wall sockets, plugs, thick cables and out door IP66 sockets would be great. I have contacted a few electricians, but I seem to get different answers, one was really pushing me for a proper EV wall mounted charger, but I am on a budget at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

You can’t just increase a 13A socket to give 40 or 32A

Charging from a 13A socket should be no problem, as most cars are capable, and some supplied with this ‘granny’ charge lead, but it has to be a good quality socket.

I wouldn’t advise running it off an extension lead, though, however good quality it is.

Can a hard wired outside socket be installed properly…. But you might still find it overheating.

You can’t just increase a 13A socket to give 40 or 32A

Charging from a 13A socket should be no problem, as most cars are capable, and some supplied with this ‘granny’ charge lead, but it has to be a good quality socket.

I wouldn’t advise running it off an extension lead, though, however good quality it is.

Can a hard wired outside socket be installed properly…. But you might still find it overheating.
Is it not possible to rewire a wall socket to 40 amps?

When you say "You wouldn't advise running off an extension lead", Do you mean it could cause fires etc. I'm trying to get an understanding on how serious it is. My knowledge on this stuff is crap haha.

I could potentially get the out door socket hard wired into the breaker

Thanks for the advice.

I know you say you have budget restrictions, but it seems a waste to have an expensive electric car like a Tesla and then hobble it with a 13A socket charger.

A proper wall mounted charge point would be the way to go for me.

I know you say you have budget restrictions, but it seems a waste to have an expensive electric car like a Tesla and then hobble it with a 13A socket charger.

A proper wall mounted charge point would be the way to go for me.
I have a proper Tesla wall mounted one at home. I am trying to find the cheapest solution at my office as the electricity is included and if I pay circa £700 -£1000 to have one at the office, it will probably take me 2 years to get my moneys worth, I wanted instant savings if you get me. I basically wanted to try and charge it at my office for 8 hours a day to keep it topped up. I am being Frugal I know haha. I would have no fuel/mileage bill at all, apart from the odd time I need it for long journeys at the weekends

I have a proper Tesla wall mounted one at home. I am trying to find the cheapest solution at my office as the electricity is included and if I pay circa £700 -£1000 to have one at the office, it will probably take me 2 years to get my moneys worth. I basically wanted to try and charge it at my office for 8 hours a day to keep it topped up. I am being Frugal I know haha. I would have no fuel/mileage bill at all, apart from the odd time I need it for long journeys at the weekends

I'm with you now. I thought it was a home office you were referring to.

whoever pays the electric bill at your office will soon notice the sudden jump in consumption, and you'll end up paying for it through higher rent or separately metered.

whoever pays the electric bill at your office will soon notice the sudden jump in consumption, and you'll end up paying for it through higher rent or separately metered.
It's an immediate family members large business with circa 60 people. I run my business with my staff in a few of their rooms rent free, as our bizniz supports their bizniz by introducing them to a lot of work by sheer coincidence. That's why I will be able to get it technically free, because we are of value to them if that makes sense.

Reply to 13amp or 40amp socket for EV charger whilst using an extension cable. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net