Discuss Main electrical supply cable asbestos or other outer insulation? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kevkdg

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what material the main supply cable is wrapped with (I believe this cable is owned by the DNO).

My concern is whether it is Asbestos?

The below photo of the cable taken just below my cut out shows the unpainted section facing the wall to be very fibrous.

Also, another query is whether anyone has any ideas as to what my DNO Cut Out Fuse might be rated. I am on a looped supply with my semi-detached neighbour. I have a Henley Series 3 Bakelite cut out unit. There is no sticker indicating the fuse fitted and neither my DNO or energy supplier have any records and neither will come out and check. I am getting a car EV charger installed, the DNO have advised that this is OK with them even though I am on a looped supply (may need a CT clamp to throttle back the car charger) BUT all EV charger installers keep asking me is what rating the fuse is. I assume either 60 or 80 amps. DNO want £120 plus VAT to increase it BUT it may not need increasing if it is already 80 amps.

Thanks

20211124_112719 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
can you show a wider angle photograph showing the cutout fuse, and any other equipment including the fuseboard or consumer unit.

Also, how old is the property?
Some on here can be quite encyclopedic about which cables were used by which supply companys, and when.

That's a new form of insulation to me.
Is it "supplementary"? It's very 'basic'.
I suppose it does mean the cable is double insulated ?

Sorry I am no help at all. It looks just like a lagged pipe!

can you show a wider angle photograph showing the cutout fuse, and any other equipment including the fuseboard or consumer unit.

Also, how old is the property?
Some on here can be quite encyclopedic about which cables were used by which supply companys, and when.

The property was built in 1961.

Location is Leeds, Yorkshire.

Also wondering on whether the tails are 16mm or 25mm?

20211109_093959 - Copy.jpg

If I wanted to be "unlooped" NorthernPowerGrid would treat is as a new connection for charging me. So expensive! However, many other DNO's do this for free. And as I said for a fuse upgrade it is £120 plus VAT. I have read somewhere that if my neighbour wanted to be unlooped as all the work would be on my property it might be free of charge. Seems unfair!

The fibrous layer is tarred hessian / jute. It is called the 'serving' and is there to protect the steel tape armour. over the lead sheath. If it has a white appearance in places, it might have been whitewashed as a preservative before tarring.

I am not aware of any asbestos-containing materials used in this application. Asbestos was relatively expensive and mainly used where it offered a specific benefit, not for low-grade bulk applications like PILCSTA serving.

Westy got the answer right first, I just added a bit of waffle.
This is the same sort of stuff, though about 100 years old...feeding the LEP head I posted a few months ago. The steel armour banding is badly rusted, as can be seen, but really tough stuff. The DNO fella sent to sort the head out was trying to strip it back and took a small chunk out of his arm when it sprung back......brutal stuff.
It looks in a bad way but no problem as it's still protecting the lead......and that won't rot. ?

IMG_2169.jpg
IMG_2170.jpg
IMG_1739.jpg

Sounds like bare steel taped, it was also used on bare swa similar to our swa but without the overall sheath, just bare armour.

Many thanks for all the answers. Much appreciated.

Does anyone happen to know what this cable might be rated at in terms of max amps? Only I am on a looped supply so guess the capacity of the cable is shared with my neighbour. I am wondering what the max DNO fuse size is I might be able to have with this shared cable and a Henley Series 3 Cut Out?

Looking at the lead where it enters the head, I am going to guess (and it's only an educated guess, without dimensions) that it's bog standard 0.0225 sq ins. aka 7/.064. Don't quote me on this but it might be 110A in free air and 125A buried, distribution rating, or that might be for 4-core. Put another way, unless both houses have EV charging and showers, it won't bat an eyelid. Even with, you won't hurt it, although DNO policy might be to unloop for 2X 100A

Looking at the lead where it enters the head, I am going to guess (and it's only an educated guess, without dimensions) that it's bog standard 0.0225 sq ins. aka 7/.064. Don't quote me on this but it might be 110A in free air and 125A buried, distribution rating, or that might be for 4-core. Put another way, unless both houses have EV charging and showers, you won't hurt it.
Cool, cheers for the guidance.

I don't have an electric shower but my neighbour does.
I will be getting an EV charger but my neighbour won't.

I think we both probably have 60 amp fuses in our Cut Outs. If so I am wanting mine upgraded to an 80 amp fuse at a cost of £120 plus VAT from the DNO (if they will do it). Would be happy to change it myself taking precautions but understand this is illegal!

Looking at the lead where it enters the head, I am going to guess (and it's only an educated guess, without dimensions) that it's bog standard 0.0225 sq ins. aka 7/.064. Don't quote me on this but it might be 110A in free air and 125A buried, distribution rating, or that might be for 4-core. Put another way, unless both houses have EV charging and showers, it won't bat an eyelid. Even with, you won't hurt it, although DNO policy might be to unloop for 2X 100A
@Lucien Nunes Many thanks for your reply.

I think ideally I just need 80 amps (my neighbour will not be changing from 60 amps). So I hope this can be done without the cost of unlooping (as that will be best part of £2k).

Does the looped connection on my neighbours cut out go through his fuse or are they "looped" before his fuse.

Does anyone know what the max fuse rating of a Henley Series 3 Cut Out is.... just wondering if it will take 80 amps or whether the DNO will need to replace my cut out and charge me even more?

Only issue is the EV charge point installer will set the EV charger to throttle back when the CT clamp reads it is getting near to 60 amps total usage. Where as if an 80 amp fuse was in place it would be set 20 amps higher.

Reply to Main electrical supply cable asbestos or other outer insulation? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net