Discuss maintenance qualification in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi,i have finished a degree and already i have equalised it with uk naric and says mechanical engineer RQF level 6 bachelor degree.in my country i have worked as a maintenance engineer in Del Monte food industry.Here in UK ,i went to two interviews for a job and they asked me about a maintenance engineer licence with (NVQ) levels. Is everyone here that knows how can i get this licence ? I must send my degree somewhere or I must watch something like seminars to get this licence?Thank you!!!

hi,i have finished a degree and already i have equalised it with uk naric and says mechanical engineer RQF level 6 bachelor degree.in my country i have worked as a maintenance engineer in Del Monte food industry.Here in UK ,i went to two interviews for a job and they asked me about a maintenance engineer licence with (NVQ) levels. Is everyone here that knows how can i get this licence ? I must send my degree somewhere or I must watch something like seminars to get this licence?Thank you!!!
What country do you come from Mate, maybe contact your countries representatives in the UK for advice.

I have already asked and they told me that they are not responsible for these type of qualification and to go to www.gov.uk/diffent qualification levels mean and the only thing that I found is that level 6 rqf is the same as nvq 6 and the nvq it is the old way of how they state a qualification and rqf is the new way to state qualifications.so one of you when you get a bachelor degree in uk and says electrical engineer degree bachelor , when you see a vacancy for a job that must be a maintenance engineer nvq 3 or higher , what documents do you give to the company to prove that you have level 3 nvq?

How can you receive a nvq through your electrical degree ?
And second can I receive a jib card now that I have a degree in mechanical engineering.
I am from greece , sorry pete that I didn't answered earlier I forgot it

How can you receive a nvq through your electrical degree ?
And second can I receive a jib card now that I have a degree in mechanical engineering.
I am from greece , sorry pete that I didn't answered earlier I forgot it

According to the JIB then your degree doesn't mean much to them. All they want is an NVQ Level 3 or you're not an Electrician.

It's backwards I know but welcome to the UK, the land of frustration and confusion :confused:

If you worked for Del Monte as a maintenance electrician the you should be able to get a maintenance job in a food processing plant here in the UK with you degree, experience and you will most likely need to also get you 17th edition (soon to be/maybe already available 18th edition) C&G 2381/2. If you show that have knowledge of our electrical regulations that would be a great help.

Maintenance work is not rely tied in with CSCS, JIB, ECS etc. Once you have your foot in the door somewhere you should be able to do a few different NVQs in electrical maintenance, electrical installation, or instrumentation. They are not particularly difficult if you have been to university just very repetitive and they should be assessed in your work place by the training provider.

Good luck and be afraid to take a ---- job to get your foot in the door.

Reply to maintenance qualification in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net