Discuss Managed To Rip A Light Out, Is It Safe To Slot It Back In? (UK) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there!

While making my bed I managed to flap my covers around so much that it hooked around my light and ripped it clean out of the socket. Included are pictures of the situation that I've got at the moment. What I want to know is if it's safe for me to switch off the electricity to the property and just slot this sucker back into where it came, there are pretty obvious clips that are meant to slot into the holes on the socket. So yeah, is it safe or would I be taking a bit of a risk?

356734026_977200763531839_9198972521494823796_n.jpg356641315_595365956080908_6070890487796612457_n.jpg

TL;DR
Ripped light out of the ceiling, can I put it back in?
You might have trouble getting that back on due to paint contamination. It doesn't look broken so try to clip it back on.

My assumption is blue side to blue side and brown side to brown side, matching the sides on the light fixture and the actual light socket?
Yes but is doesn't really matter. Try to match the paint breaks up it may go on easier.

From the marks in the lampholder the original fitting is as you say.

That brown wire running around the outside looks like it has paint on it so it might have been fouling. Turn off the power at the CU and move it inwards a bit before you refit the part that fell off.

yep that should be safe to just back on
turn the power off and push that brown wire with paint in a bit though first

Reply to Managed To Rip A Light Out, Is It Safe To Slot It Back In? (UK) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net