Discuss Wiring help! Old victorian terrace! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, so we have been living in a house that was built in 1880s/1890s, and we have had a few issues with the electrics.
I mean we live in a pretty cheap house and am quite aware that the reason we have these issues is because of that, but I would like to at least live safely!
So March 2021, our electrics kept tripping the switch, no matter even if we unplugged everything it still wouldn't work. So this electric guy came over, somehow made the switch stay on and plugged a extension plug socket into the mains and said to use that. Which was ok for a few weeks but we then needed to use electric in other rooms so we bought three different long extension leads. A year later and due to illness and covid restrictions etc its still not done and were still using the extension leads. Some reason the plug sockets don't work but the lights and cooker do?... Today my partner was cleaning the downstairs hallway light and it snapped completely off, I will add photos. Its rusty, looks frayed and burnt out and has a left a hole in the fixture. Am I ok to wait until the maintenance woman is back until Friday and get onto her then or should I call the emergency line? the emergency line charge if its deemed it can wait. We are private renting.

Any advice would be amazing as we are really worried. x

Attachments

• 273825412_1626268347718699_5817762945571818465_n.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 273747947_929565617754562_301332567514500250_n.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 273872975_279726957580648_2670317672300388120_n.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 21
From a start off, any private landlord needs to ensure that the property is safe for the tenants. They have a duty of care.
It doesn’t sound like that’s been done.
Has there ever been an EICR done on the property?

Your local authority need to know about this, or letting agent. I don’t see the landlord spending any money if it’s been ongoing for so long.

It is not your responsibility to pay for repairs or rewiring.

It may mean that the landlord can’t afford the repairs and evicts you… but better that than living in a death trap.

From a start off, any private landlord needs to ensure that the property is safe for the tenants. They have a duty of care.
It doesn’t sound like that’s been done.
Has there ever been an EICR done on the property?

Your local authority need to know about this, or letting agent. I don’t see the landlord spending any money if it’s been ongoing for so long.

It is not your responsibility to pay for repairs or rewiring.

It may mean that the landlord can’t afford the repairs and evicts you… but better that than living in a death trap.
Thank you so so much for your reply. And we totally agree! - We were given the report if that's the same thing, and all pretty much seems ok, didn't note any issues etc. It's the letting agents themselves that are the issue- but I have looked online and seen it isn't just us at the moment, others with the same agency are having similar issues, flickering and faulty lights etc.

We are going to get in touch with them in the week, demand that this be done and rewired or we will be putting in our notice. Thank you xx

can’t speak for English rental rules, but local authority and citizens advice would be a suggestion to speak to… sooner the better.

Please tell me any gas appliance has been tested recently as well
And working smoke alarms

can’t speak for English rental rules, but local authority and citizens advice would be a suggestion to speak to… sooner the better.

Please tell me any gas appliance has been tested recently as well
And working smoke alarms
Hi,

Yeah, working alarms in our spare bedroom and upstairs hallway and downstairs hallway, and a carbon monoxide one in the kitchen.
We had a few issues with the boiler so they came out and sorted that, the pressure keeps dropping. x

Reply to Wiring help! Old victorian terrace! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net