Discuss MCB as a Main Switch in Garage Panel? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for checking this out.

I have a garage with its own consumer unit and at this point I'm trying to get some feedback on the pros and cons whether its best to install a "double pole mcb" or "main switch" in the garage panel before going to the individual mcb's.

so whats your opinions?

(I have seen similar installations and they seen to prefer one or the other)

Thanks

Last edited:
There should some form of OCPD at the house end to protect the cable, so a mainswitch as isolator at board, with mcb to final circuits. (Rcd’s where required, of course)

Either is fine, normally depends on what the wholesaler has in stock at the time.

There should some form of OCPD at the house end to protect the cable, so a mainswitch as isolator at board, with mcb to final circuits. (Rcd’s where required, of course)
thanks for your message. yes indeed it will include all the things you mentioned as well as surge protection. at board

for a garage installation, it's usual to fit a mini CU ..2 pole main switch and 2 - 3 MCBs as required. the 2 pole main switch allows you to isolate both live conductors in case of a fault.

An MCB as a main switch, if that is what you're suggesting, is pretty pointless.

In the event of a small overload the circuit MCB will operate and in the event of a high current overload its pretty much Russian roulette as to whether the double pole will trip before the circuit MCB or even the MCB back in the house or all three.

I Can't see what it offers other than a third layer of fail safe for high current faults.

If you had one in your possession that was suitable I can't see what harm it would do though.

An MCB as a main switch, if that is what you're suggesting, is pretty pointless.

In the event of a small overload the circuit MCB will operate and in the event of a high current overload its pretty much Russian roulette as to whether the double pole will trip before the circuit MCB or even the MCB back in the house or all three.

I Can't see what it offers other than a third layer of fail safe for high current faults.

If you had one in your possession that was suitable I can't see what harm it would do though.
thanks for the details.

the home panel will have a "main switch" and then an "rcd"- then to the garage panel.

the garage panel will then have another "main switch" or "double pole mcb" followed by the individual mcbs.

so if at the garage panel an mcb is installed instead of the main switch there will be 2 layers of fail safe. in view of this do you think it would be a good idea to have the double pole mcb at the garage?thx

thanks for the details.

the home panel will have a "main switch" and then an "rcd"- then to the garage panel.

the garage panel will then have another "main switch" or "double pole mcb" followed by the individual mcbs.

so if at the garage panel an mcb is installed instead of the main switch there will be 2 layers of fail safe. in view of this do you think it would be a good idea to have the double pole mcb at the garage?thx
No offense but I think your out of your depth. What your planning really needs more understanding than you have.

Get a spark in, for your own safety.

No offense but I think your out of your depth. What your planning really needs more understanding than you have.

Get a spark in, for your own safety.
no offense taken. I do this professionally and have the relevant qualifications, more than the average spark I would say. however I can understand that some of my terms might not be accurate because I'm not a native english speaker and we call things differently.

the setup i explained is used by 99% of professionals in my country, so im not reinventing the wheel or anything.

my questions was actually simple...."for a secondary panel such as in a garage, why some professionals use a main switch/isolator and others a double pole mcb, almost interchangeably. Obviously both will work and they can both be used according to code...but i kind of wanted to hear more opinions.

(Obliviously I am aware of the difference, one being manually operated and the other not and having over current protection etc)

Anyways thanks for your trying to help...

Note that I'm only asking questions, I can't ask this question to a local spark, a collegue or anyone because I would only get his personal opinion which might or might not be the best. Asking in a forum filled with (presumably) many capable and experienced professionally is the way to go (or probably not given the answers I'm getting.....:))

Last edited:
Spot on, you’re trying to talk technical but without the foundation’s get a sparky in mate
thanks for your mesage, are you a spark? if you are maybe you could at least attempt to answer my question because it should be easy.... thanks

thanks for your mesage, are you a spark? if you are maybe you could at least attempt to answer my question because it should be easy.... thanks
Well it needs more detail like the CSA of supply cable to garage consumer? Type of cable? The route of cable? You say it’s rcd protected so do you mean it’s fed via an mcb which is in turn protected via rcd providing additional protection For multiple circuits? I would personally use an rcbo at existing consumer unit and then use double pole main switch at garage with rcbos on that consumer although nuisance tripping is a factor but Aslong as you have rcbo at house consumer it won’t interrupt the circuits at house

Well it needs more detail like the CSA of supply cable to garage consumer? Type of cable? The route of cable? You say it’s rcd protected so do you mean it’s fed via an mcb which is in turn protected via rcd providing additional protection For multiple circuits? I would personally use an rcbo at existing consumer unit and then use double pole main switch at garage with rcbos on that consumer although nuisance tripping is a factor but Aslong as you have rcbo at house consumer it won’t interrupt the circuits at house
Also yes I am a spark are you?

thanks for the reply and details. the wire to garage will be a 4mm wire in a pvc pipe (more than enough given the relatively short distance)

You say it’s rcd protected so do you mean it’s fed via an mcb which is in turn protected via rcd providing additional protection For multiple circuits?
almost like you said but theirs no mcb (by design) at that point. basically the flow is like below:

Utility Company Meter(Which some type of overcurrent protection too) -> Main Switch A -> Surge Protector-> Over/Under Voltage Relay/Protector -> RCD (with time delay for discrimination) -> ---------Wire to Garage Panel------------> Main Switch B -> RCD -> individual mcbs

The above is a standard setup in my country so I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel.

So as not to get out of topic, my question with reference to the above was:

"Main Switch A" and "Main Switch B" - I have seen many(the majority) installations using a DP MCB instead of a Manual Main Switch/isolator, especially for "Main Switch B"

Also, some local shops dont even stock them in all brands and would tell you to get a DP MCB instead. And obviously I'm not very keen in opting for something just because the shop happen to have only that one...

Also, just because many local electricians do that does not mean that its the best way.

Personally (and I stand to be corrected) I think the ideal setup would be like this:

Utility Company Meter(Which some type of overcurrent protection too) -> Main Switch A -> Surge Protector-> Over/Under Voltage Relay/Protector -> RCD (with time delay for discrimination) -> ---------Wire to Garage Panel------------> DP MCB -> RCD -> individual mcbs

Notes:

Main Switch A - a manual isolator is a must here because its the only sure way that the power can be switched off (a DP MCB could malfunction given that it has more components)

DP MCB - an added layer of safety for overcurrent here, because one could always used the "Main Switch A" to be 100% sure that electricity is off.

any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I can't speak to what the code in Malta allows, or what is normal practise there.

But from a UK perspective, the issue would be that there is no over current protection at the source end in the scenario you are giving. (Other than the main incoming supplier fuse).

We can use the main incoming fuse as protection for meter tails up to a certain distance, but they are 10-25mm cables. I thought I saw 4mm being mentioned for this feed, but can't see that now looking back.

That may be why the Main switch B is often replaced with an MCB I presume, to provide some sort of overcurrent protection, albeit at the load end. If the run was short and suitably protected etc then it might be electrically safe, but I'd consider it bad practise when an MCB or RCBO could be added at the initial board.

Otherwise, what is to stop people adding new MCBs on the garage end and overloading the current feed cable beyond it's safe rating in the future?

I can't speak to what the code in Malta allows, or what is normal practise there.

But from a UK perspective, the issue would be that there is no over current protection at the source end in the scenario you are giving. (Other than the main incoming supplier fuse).

We can use the main incoming fuse as protection for meter tails up to a certain distance, but they are 10-25mm cables. I thought I saw 4mm being mentioned for this feed, but can't see that now looking back.

That may be why the Main switch B is often replaced with an MCB I presume, to provide some sort of overcurrent protection, albeit at the load end. If the run was short and suitably protected etc then it might be electrically safe, but I'd consider it bad practise when an MCB or RCBO could be added at the initial board.

Otherwise, what is to stop people adding new MCBs on the garage end and overloading the current feed cable beyond it's safe rating in the future?
Thanks for the message and great observation.

With Regards to a DP MCB at the source. This would add another layer of safety. My concern is that in rare instances an MCB could malfunction and not disconnect even through its manually flipped off.

But to counter argument the above, the utility company meter also has an integrated switch to disconnect from (with over current protection too, and not just via a fuse)

So I guess that's why some people use a Main Switch and others a DP MCB, almost interchangeably - because any would work, yet a DP MCB at source would cut off the supply very early on.

thanks for the observation

thanks for the reply and details. the wire to garage will be a 4mm wire in a pvc pipe (more than enough given the relatively short distance)

almost like you said but theirs no mcb (by design) at that point. basically the flow is like below:

Utility Company Meter(Which some type of overcurrent protection too) -> Main Switch A -> Surge Protector-> Over/Under Voltage Relay/Protector -> RCD (with time delay for discrimination) -> ---------Wire to Garage Panel------------> Main Switch B -> RCD -> individual mcbs

The above is a standard setup in my country so I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel.

So as not to get out of topic, my question with reference to the above was:

"Main Switch A" and "Main Switch B" - I have seen many(the majority) installations using a DP MCB instead of a Manual Main Switch/isolator, especially for "Main Switch B"

Also, some local shops dont even stock them in all brands and would tell you to get a DP MCB instead. And obviously I'm not very keen in opting for something just because the shop happen to have only that one...

Also, just because many local electricians do that does not mean that its the best way.

Personally (and I stand to be corrected) I think the ideal setup would be like this:

Utility Company Meter(Which some type of overcurrent protection too) -> Main Switch A -> Surge Protector-> Over/Under Voltage Relay/Protector -> RCD (with time delay for discrimination) -> ---------Wire to Garage Panel------------> DP MCB -> RCD -> individual mcbs

Notes:

Main Switch A - a manual isolator is a must here because its the only sure way that the power can be switched off (a DP MCB could malfunction given that it has more components)

DP MCB - an added layer of safety for overcurrent here, because one could always used the "Main Switch A" to be 100% sure that electricity is off.

any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Right ok you’ve done one of my pet hates and over complicated the situation. You’ve run a 4mm twin and earth pvc/pvc cable in plastic conduit to garage consumer. You’ve used what size protective device at source to protect 4mm cable? And what size double pole mcb at load end?
I personally do it different to this but I like to learn and see how others do it.

Right ok you’ve done one of my pet hates and over complicated the situation. You’ve run a 4mm twin and earth pvc/pvc cable in plastic conduit to garage consumer. You’ve used what size protective device at source to protect 4mm cable? And what size double pole mcb at load end?
I personally do it different to this but I like to learn and see how others do it.
:) actually I got the answer already for my question (which was very simple and then kind of went out of topic)

But to keep on the conversation. The wires between panels will be 6mm (I wrote 4mm by mistake last time) and protected by a 40amps DP MCB.

The wires will be single core. The distance between panels is of less than 10 meters so a 6mm wire in a pvc pipe should be nice and cool. For longer distance would probably use 8mm just in case.

You can find a quick diagram of the setup. Note that said setup is how 99% of installations are done locally so I'm not taking the credit for it or anything.

Attachments

• MCB as a Main Switch in Garage Panel? meters - EletriciansForums.net
    meters.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 9
:) actually I got the answer already for my question (which was very simple and then kind of went out of topic)

But to keep on the conversation. The wires between panels will be 6mm (I wrote 4mm by mistake last time) and protected by a 40amps DP MCB.

The wires will be single core. The distance between panels is of less than 10 meters so a 6mm wire in a pvc pipe should be nice and cool. For longer distance would probably use 8mm just in case.

You can find a quick diagram of the setup. Note that said setup is how 99% of installations are done locally so I'm not taking the credit for it or anything.
I don’t like that set up at all, 6mm cable should be protected by 32A protective device especially when you consider insulation factors, so from the utility meter what csa of tails/cable is selected 6mm? And what size supply cut out fuse is there? If it’s 60A needs to be 16mm if it’s 80/100A needs to be 25mm in my opinion. That diagram isn’t a British one is it?

Reply to MCB as a Main Switch in Garage Panel? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock