Discuss megger mft in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chris Milne

Looking to buy a new tester and was just wondering is there much difference between the 1552/1553 and the 1720/1730? I know that the higher spec one has the Bluetooth function but am I as well buying the older version as I plan to buy 2nd hand? Cheers

Personally prefer the 15xx range over the 17xx.

Are the 1700's prone to faults?

The early 1700's were, especially with the two wire low current loop test. I know, I had an early version! However, Megger totally refitted it for me and updated the firmware under warranty. The problem has now gone and its a good meter. The newer versions now have the updated firmware.

They have been prone to making it obvious they weren't tested completely before being released, maybe being tested up to the marketing departments release date who then said " tested enough, let the public finish the testing while we charge them" just a crazy idea. I have been drinking.

They have been prone to making it obvious they weren't tested completely before being released, maybe being tested up to the marketing departments release date who then said " tested enough, let the public finish the testing while we charge them" just a crazy idea. I have been drinking.

Totally agree and this was my argument to get the warranty work done!

Are the 1700's prone to faults?

I have had one, company issue been back twice in less then a year, once for recall mentioned above, once for a fault which stopped all readings being stable (probably iffy connection) but reading the megger works ticket it had a whole new main board. Now it has developed a habit of tripping rcbo's on 2 wire, rendering the 2-wire function virtually useless.
All of the ones on the company have been in for repair.
When it is working its brilliant, really quick on RCD tests etc, easy to use and reasonable on battery life.

I like many others have a fondness for the MFT1552 and 1553, they don't have the "bells and whistles" of the newer testers but make the most of what they have, just about everything you want for everyday testing. To use a "Top Gear" motoring term they are a "drivers" tester ie. every time you use it the experience is pleasurable and leaves you with a smile on your face.

I don't get this with the MFT1720 or 1730 which have far too many hidden settings buried in the maintenance function. If the tester is a company instrument used by many people, you have to waste 15 minutes or so just resetting the tester the way you like it every time you go to use it or be irritated by the current set-up, and either way it sure annoys the hell out of you.

The only practical additions on the newer testers are the earth resistance and earth leakage (requires an add on Iclamp at extra cost) functions, everything else is marketing spin in my opinion.

Forget Bluetooth data collection on either a MFT553 or 1730, although there are slight improvements on the later tester it's still a nightmare to set-up and use. The data entry is so clunky and counter-intuitive that pen and paper is still quicker and more reliable for the average tester.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like many others have a fondness for the MFT1552 and 1553, they don't have the "bells and whistles" of the newer testers but make the most of what they have, just about everything you want for everyday testing. To use a "Top Gear" motoring term they are a "drivers" tester ie. every time you use it the experience is pleasurable and leaves you with a smile on your face.

I don't get this with the MFT1720 or 1730 which have far too many hidden settings buried in the maintenance function. If the tester is a company instrument used by many people, you have to waste 15 minutes or so just resetting the tester the way you like it every time you go to use it or be irritated by the current set-up, and either way it sure annoys the hell out of you.

The only practical additions on the newer testers are the earth resistance and earth leakage (requires an add on Iclamp at extra cost) functions, everything else is marketing spin in my opinion.

Forget Bluetooth data collection on either a MFT553 or 1730, although there are slight improvements on the later tester it's still a nightmare to set-up and use. The data entry is so clunky and counter-intuitive that pen and paper is still quicker and more reliable for the average tester.

As always great, useful, articulate advice.

But at 4:48am ..... Are on a shift MarkieSparkie:bomb::bomb:

I bought the mft 1553 but have never used the bluetooth facility on it. I think it depends on if you are going to use the software to fill out your certs.

I've been using a MFT 1552 for many years and can't fault it , although have recently invested in a 1730 but in my opinion go for the 1552 if you're on a budget.
Don't bother with Bluetooth , nice idea but never used it as I use Easycert on my phone.

I use a 1552 and have to say I love this meter, had a fluke for a few years before this and hated it with a passion. 1552 is quick and easy to use and never gives you any hassle.

Reply to megger mft in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net