Discuss Metal halide to sodium? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, it's been a while since I last posted, what with moving into my first house, and work commitments etc. However I'm back with a question, my in laws have 2 SON lights outside their house, and recently got a new one off eBay (see the warning signs) they replaced it like for like however when they lit it up it had a warm white light, not cool white like the other one, so off they went to CEF (more warning signs) who told them you can't get a cool white metal halide, however you can get an LED COB lamp that will work, you just need to disconnect the ballast in the light fitting and connect the L and N (from switch) straight into the lamp holder. Anyone know if this is correct? And will it work ?

(Edit) just realised I've put the lamp types wrong way round as we know SON lights only glow warm white.
Cheers all, and a very merry Christmas.
Jim

Last edited:
LEDs usually require a driver to work so i imagine your parents have been fobbed of. Do you know the make and model of the ones CEF are referring too? As it would be worth using a internet search engine to find the wiring diagram yourself.

LED E27 20W lamps available in Daylight, Cool White or Warm white , all are Line and Neutral fed direct to lamp holder , just bypass the old running gear , these are a replacement for a 70W Son lamp ....

Dillb; I'm hoping that shouldn't be an issue, as he was told it has a built in driver, But then again it was CEF who said that, so who knows.
Ray; That sounds about right, Just wasn't sure as Ive never heard anyone talk about it.

LED E27 20W lamps available in Daylight, Cool White or Warm white , all are Line and Neutral fed direct to lamp holder , just bypass the old running gear , these are a replacement for a 70W Son lamp ....
As Ray says, the cob lights just need line and neutral with no control gear. We converted about 100 70w Son lamp posts with good results last year.

light rabbit do a 20 watt led what they call a corn lamp cool white E27 base Ive changed all the sons at a school to them very good and no additional drivers live neutral thats it so remove the old control gear and connect up the L and N and away you go

Reply to Metal halide to sodium? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net