Discuss Meter tails size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kuba

-
Reaction score
What is the size of these meter tails? Are L&N going to the meter 32mm or 25mm and coming out are 25mm or 16mm? Permitiers are roughly 40mm of larger one and 35mm of smaller one. Thanks for your help ?

Attachments

• 48348657-FED4-455B-A18F-E50FBDDC0EF6.jpeg
    473.4 KB · Views: 77
What is the size of these meter tails? Are L&N going to the meter 32mm or 25mm and coming out are 25mm or 16mm? Permitiers are roughly 40mm of larger one and 35mm of smaller one. Thanks for your help ?
quite hard to tell without something to gauge against or actually seeing in person but my best guestimate would be 25mm.
It might be an idea to get some cuttings of cable to familiarise yourself with them until you become proficient at identifying the sizes?

quite hard to tell without something to gauge against or actually seeing in person but my best guestimate would be 25mm.
It might be an idea to get some cuttings of cable to familiarise yourself with them until you become proficient at identifying the sizes?

Must be 25mm and 16mm then ? I haven’t worked on a board yet or with anyone else who does so can’t get hold of any off cuts but I definitely will grab some when I can.

i'm sure a member will have some scrap and be able to post you a couple of bits.

You just have to remember that modern tails are normally insulated and the over sheathed. So they look thicker than just single insulated.

6181Y is double insulated. Brown or blue inner insulation and grey outer, but sometimes matching the inner, as you have here.
6491X is single insulated, only used for the earth nowadays, but older installations, you might find it as the main tails in red and black. No extra mechanical protection

I’d say the brown, blue and the greys are all 25mm2, and all double insulated.

From the Doncaster cable's data sheets:
6491X is 16mm = 6.4-7.8mm diameter, 25mm = 8.1-9.7mm
6181Y is 16mm = 8.4-10.5mm diameter, 25mm = 10.0-12.5mm
However older cables of the PBJ style I have no idea!

Looking at the radius of the Grey cores I would say 16mm2, but they may be 25mm2, regardless they are not 35mm2 thats for sure

Reply to Meter tails size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net