Discuss Metrel 3100 Ze & Ipf in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

neon

Recently I purchased a MI3100 test instrument. Im having trouble understanding how to perform Ze and Ipf tests. With other test instruments for Ze i have used 2 probes - 1 on the supply Line conductor and the other probe on the main earth conductor.
With other test instruments for Ipf i have used 2 probes - 1 on the supply line conductor and the other probe on the supply neutral conductor. The manual says to use 3 probes plus it seems that it can be used for individual circuits. I just want an external reading.
I rang the
technical help line today, but no answer. Was able to leave a voicemail to call me back, but they only open 9-3 Monday to Thursday!
Does anyone have experience of this test instrument?

don't know the metrel, but some MFTs require you to connect the N and E leads together.

I've got the MI3000.

by LPF, do you mean potential short circuit current?

If so, stick the L and N probes in the incommer as normal, and croc clip the green lead to the earth bar.

No idea why my Metrel requires the "earth" lead connected to anything, but it does.

I've got the MI3000.

by LPF, do you mean potential short circuit current?

If so, stick the L and N probes in the incommer as normal, and croc clip the green lead to the earth bar.

No idea why my Metrel requires the "earth" lead connected to anything, but it does.
Yeah it's a capital i
That's what I was after.
What about the fuse setting that should be selected? What is the *F option?

Recently I purchased a MI3100 test instrument. Im having trouble understanding how to perform Ze and Ipf tests. With other test instruments for Ze i have used 2 probes - 1 on the supply Line conductor and the other probe on the main earth conductor.
With other test instruments for Ipf i have used 2 probes - 1 on the supply line conductor and the other probe on the supply neutral conductor. The manual says to use 3 probes plus it seems that it can be used for individual circuits. I just want an external reading.
I rang the
technical help line today, but no answer. Was able to leave a voicemail to call me back, but they only open 9-3 Monday to Thursday!
Does anyone have experience of this test instrument?

put it on E Bay and buy a proper tester Fluke

Yeah it's a capital i
That's what I was after.
What about the fuse setting that should be selected? What is the *F option?

The *F means that no fuse type is selected so there will not be reference values shown on the display. These values would be a ready reference to indicate whether the reading is a pass or fail, generally you should know what values you need and not rely on the tester to tell you.

I would suggest that it would be a good idea to read the instruction manual and fully familiarise yourself with the methods of using this tester.
Then you will not be surprised when you come to test for real.

The *F means that no fuse type is selected so there will not be reference values shown on the display. These values would be a ready reference to indicate whether the reading is a pass or fail, generally you should know what values you need and not rely on the tester to tell you.

I would suggest that it would be a good idea to read the instruction manual and fully familiarise yourself with the methods of using this tester.
Then you will not be surprised when you come to test for real.

Thanks for clarifying the *F query i had.
I have read the manual, but there was no mention of the *F in Appendix A for the fuse types, which is why i asked this question for clarification. Especially as i still not been able to get in contact with Metrel!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd guess it's the same as my Metrel in which case Ze is a 3 lead test, 1 on the live, one on the neutral and one on the earth. PEFC is the same but PSCC you link the blue and green leads and connect them to neutral.

Reply to Metrel 3100 Ze & Ipf in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net