• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Minimum call-out fee gripe in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

sponge23

Regular EF Member
Hi guys, had quite a few people ringing me up recently and asking what my call-out fee is; to which I reply £70 (which covers one hour) plus materials.
I then get the response "oh that sounds expensive" - is it? I think it's reasonable for 2018 in the South East of England.

What are you guys charging?

Andy78

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Can't give you my call out pricing, its post code based as my city is quite divided along wealth lines, some would not think twice about £100 others would balk at £45. I call it strategic pricing
I wish my area could be divided up geographically like that, would make things easier. I charge a universal fee and find tight gits and grateful, generous customers in all areas alike.

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
Where in the South East are you?

JOURNEYMAN

Regular EF Member
It depends on location and distance from my home/office. Generally I allow up to £70.00 call out fee which includes up to 2 hours travel time (there and back) and the first hour labour at the property concerned. Given that most of my work is South London based, subject to a lot of time spent at the steering wheel and subject to London Weighting I think that's reasonable. If it's a local job to me that I can attend within a few minutes then I usually drop it down to around £35.00 for the first hour and then an hourly rate after that or give them a price for whatever is required.

rolyberkin

Electrician's Arms
I charge £80 which covers up to an hour £65 is my standard turn up for any job for two hours so I think £75 is cheap for a call out. I think I am the cheapest around my area near Chelmsford.
(Edited just checked my website!;-)

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Hi guys, had quite a few people ringing me up recently and asking what my call-out fee is; to which I reply £70 (which covers one hour) plus materials.
I then get the response "oh that sounds expensive" - is it? I think it's reasonable for 2018 in the South East of England.

What are you guys charging?
I think cocering materials is a mistake, how will you know what you may need could be a killer price wise 65 quid call out and first hour.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
i read it as £70 plus materials. Pete. you been to specsavers lately?:D:D:D.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
i read it as £70 plus materials. Pete. you been to specsavers lately?:D:D:D.
No mate they keep telling I need my eyes tested but sod paying the prices they charge, couldn't afford any vino if I went there.

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
I charge 1 bit coin, for the first hour ,and 10 bits per hour after that.
considering it take me 10 light speed years to get their.

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
the ranges that you have been putting on between £70 on ward is a fair price for the first hour ,you could charge more if you put a mask on like some people.

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
Time to put my prices up ...............

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.