Discuss Minor Job for my assessment; is this OK? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Goody

-
Reaction score
I have a “MAGNUSS” CU with a single RCD and the meter tails are 16mm (main fuse is 100A).

For a newly built partition I am adding a new ring with two double sockets and connecting it to a 32A MCB on the CU. I am going to present this as a “Minor Job” for my assessment. Because the CU isn’t a split one and the tails are only 16mm, would this raise any question during my assessment?

Other than Ze, Zs at the sockets, ring continuity, IR, r1+r2, r1+rn and RCD tests, is anything more needs doing.

When the assessor checks the work, should I safe-isolate the whole CU or just the circuit needed isolations and locking. What sort of questions should I expect on this when I get assessed?

Many thanks!

This would need an EIC rather than a minor works cert. The tails shouldn't be a problem as you're not changing the cu.
You will need to check the presence and suitability of the main bonding and of course earthing as ADS depends on it.

This would need an EIC rather than a minor works cert. The tails shouldn't be a problem as you're not changing the cu.
You will need to check the presence and suitability of the main bonding and of course earthing as ADS depends on it.

I think the op refers to minor work as in the minor and major works for assessment.

Make use of the 'comments on existing installation' box to note the 16mm 'tails' and as Jaresquire says, you must check the adequacy of earthing & bonding.

I have a “MAGNUSS” CU with a single RCD and the meter tails are 16mm (main fuse is 100A).

For a newly built partition I am adding a new ring with two double sockets and connecting it to a 32A MCB on the CU. I am going to present this as a “Minor Job” for my assessment. Because the CU isn’t a split one and the tails are only 16mm, would this raise any question during my assessment?

Other than Ze, Zs at the sockets, ring continuity, IR, r1+r2, r1+rn and RCD tests, is anything more needs doing.

When the assessor checks the work, should I safe-isolate the whole CU or just the circuit needed isolations and locking. What sort of questions should I expect on this when I get assessed?

Many thanks!

Up to you whether you isolate the whole installation or just that circuit. Your decision should be based around the risks of leaving the CU accessible in the environment you are in.

Ensure that you do the tests in the right sequence and don't forget functional tests at the end.

Many thanks, guys, for the input. I am still not sure if this work can be presented as "Minor Job" for my assessment. Probably should ring NICEIC.

Goody is that right are you going to do a ring final for 2 double sockets?

Can I suggest to save the testing you have to do for a ring final, just run a A3 radial for the 2 double sockets. Might make life a little easier.

Goody is that right are you going to do a ring final for 2 double sockets? Yes, that was my plan.

Can I suggest to save the testing you have to do for a ring final, just run a A3 radial for the 2 double sockets. Might make life a little easier. Sounds great! But the trouble is, a room previously used as a bathroom is now split into a shower room (with hot water from the boiler) and a study. A socket where the boiler was connected to is being moved closer to the boiler, a new ceiling light for the shower room with probably an extracter fan. The study will have a ceiling light and two twin sockets installed. In this situation, I don't think I can present these two twin sockets as a "Minor Job" for my assessment. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Sounds great! But the trouble is, a room previously used as a bathroom is now split into a shower room (with hot water from the boiler) and a study. A socket where the boiler was connected to is being moved closer to the boiler, a new ceiling light for the shower room with probably an extracter fan. The study will have a ceiling light and two twin sockets installed. In this situation, I don't think I can present these two twin sockets as a "Minor Job" for my assessment. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Is that boiler staying in the bathroom or will it be in a cupboard, just wondering where the it is becasue of the socket ?

I have to come back as why do you think the NICEIC will not accept this as a minor job, as that is what it is. A minor job to them is an installation of a new circuit for say 2 sockets, and though you need to fill in a EIC for that, and not a MEIWC they will class it as a minor job I have no doubt.

Don't forget that the NICEIC want to see a minimum of 1 major and 1 minor job.

If you took them to 2 full rewires, all well and good, that's what you'll be assessed on, the second job just getting a 'once over'.

Cant disagree with IQ cos i am not with The NIC. I can only speak for Elecsa assessments, and they want to see a job which is a fair representation of the type of work you carry out. So if you do a lot of biggish jobs, rewires, kitchen refits etc, then showing him an additional socket in the bedroom wont do.

Cheers........Howard

Reply to Minor Job for my assessment; is this OK? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net