Discuss Minor Works Certificate in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

s1m0n

Looking for Guidance,
Just starting to do minor woks to gain experience, nearly finished 2330 L3, also sat 2392 in March and passed.
with minor works certificates, ii am happy filling them out as to adding a spur, or addintion to an existing light installation.
My question is when just changing a cieling rose or a light switch, do I fill one in?
if so do I record any testing as I am not changing the origional installation,
if some one can give me an example it would be appreachiated.

Thanks in advance Simon

Hi.

In the link below is a table of works notifiable under Part P of the building regs showing when you need to notify them and when not.

The work you have mentioned would be non notifiable so technically would not need testing, thats not to say however that you shouldn't be doing one as piece of mind. Plus they only take a few minutes to complete anyway.

http://www.elecsa.co.uk/downloads/TableofNotifiableWork.pdf

Cheers.

Thanks for that,
I am aware of notifiable and non notifiable, Its just our tutors have been telling us technically evev for changing a light switch, a ninor works certificate should be raised as a record.
this is where my concerns are coming from, ( doing it by the book)
using the example of replacing a light switch,
1. it is not notifably
2. do I raise a minor works certificate for it, if so do I do any testing,

thanks simon

Hi.

Well technically anyone i.e Joe public, can change a lightswitch as it is non-notifiable and he isn't going to be doing a minor works is he.

So technically no, you dont need to do one. No harm in doing as your tutor says though just as a record.

GN3 says a Minor Works cirtificate is "intended for such work as the addition of a socket-outlet or lighting point to an existing circuit, or for repair or modification"

I would say the changing of a unit (switch/soket cover) would be a modification.

Just my 2 cents.

I see what your saying Patch but, if you change a 1g1w switch for another 1g1w switch then thats like for like not added to or modified in any way.

thanks again guys, as you can guess I have what they taught me college, but in the real world is different,
so has a modification would you note it on a minor works cetificat and N/A the testing.
i'm asking, as once I have a few jobs under my belt I want to become Part P registered, and with an assesment I want to feel confident that I know why I am using the certificates to the Assesor ( if asked)
I'm one those people who like to do every thing right, its a pain sometimes, but pays off in the long run.

thanks for your opions

Simon:)

so has a modification would you note it on a minor works cetificat and N/A the testing.

No. :eek: Thats not what`s been suggested

Whether you complete a Minor Works Cert for such a small job is at your discretion, but if you do then you must test it & record results.

If you`re heading for an assessment i`d suggest complete as many Certs as you can (but do em right) as that will impress them as to your competence/experience

I'm one those people who like to do every thing right, its a pain sometimes, but pays off in the long run.

Right way to be :cool:, it is :(, & it certainly will :)

ok one last question.
using an example of adding to a lighting ciruit,
I would only test the new cabling as regards to the dead tests,
The Zs reading will include new and existing with out question.

I ony ask, that if the added a light is on an installation with a few other lights with dimmer contols, (being vunerable to IR testing) there will be a lot more work and cost to the customer.

Am I understanding this correctly.

Thanks

Simon

Yes, you would have to do a circuit loop test & IR (which will be a dead test on on the whole cct) which will likely involve a bit more disconnecting, switching & bridging.

Sounds like you are understanding it correctly :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Minor Works Certificate in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net