Discuss Motorised valve 2 port in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

obleo

Hi all. I am wiring a 2 port motorised valve and would value advice re. wiring of aux. switch.
Instead of having a permanent feed on orange (or grey) wire, could I loop a feed from the valve motor, that is to say, use the "feed" from the programmer that energises the motorised valve to feed one side of the aux. switch? Reason being that when the aux. switch fails (as it will) the boiler will not remain on as there is no permanent feed.

If you do that you will get a backfeed from any other valve in the system so that it remains open as long as any other valve is energised.

This is the reason they started putting switches in them in the first place.

Also the convention is to put the perm live on the grey and the orange is the switched live to the boiler. Keeps it closer in line with other types of valve then.

Why would the aux fail ?? I've installed lots of valves and have yet to have a faulty aux . I take it that ur saying that the aux switch will fail in the closed position ? Surely the valve will be controlled via either room stat or tank stat , I think you should wire it in the conventional manor , sure you could work it the way you've mentioned like was previously mentioned if aux failed in the closed position surely if there were another zone valve installed then it would still open the valve in question not eliminating you're query

The aux. switch mostly does not fail "as such". Worn valves may not move (switch) the aux. switch on opening or closing.

They do fail occasionally, but i've only ever had them fail open circuit, never seen one fail closed.<br><br>Far more regular is the damned motors failing in them

Aindowsimon. Yes I meant the switched feed from the 'stat.
I had thought that if the boiler was energised from another valve, the backfeed would go to the dead side of the aux. switch in another valve regardless of where it takes its source of supply.

The boiler cannot remain on if the feed from the 'stat is removed i.e. if the programmer switches off, as there is no premanent feed to aux. switch.

I realy havnt had this problem often enough for me to consider altering the wiring ? I understand things fail from time to time Maybe your experiences are different have some faith make sure you get quality reputable manufacturer of materials

The boiler cannot remain on if the feed from the 'stat is removed i.e. if the programmer switches off, as there is no premanent feed to aux. switch.

I understand but if its failed with the aux closed when another zone valve energises the live will be able to carry all the way back to the live on the faulty motorised valve opening it and heating a circuit witch doesn't require space heating if the prog is off

The system wouldn't be working as it should and it may not be so obvious to the occupier but if it failed wired in the conventional sense the boiler would be calling but heat would not travel as the faulty valve wouldn't be opened so boiler probably be on when all prog be switched off but hot water be travelling thru abv( witch will be a small circuit ) if installed then its down to the occupier to realise the boiler short cycling when there is no programmed schedual activated + call out for you = ££

Can't fault your logic there. I neglected to mention I intend installing the valves in my own house. I have been 'putting it off' for a mere thirty years.

Well ur one better than me there I'm still on coal fire as only source of heat dark ages ! I'm shockd about my logic as I'm given the misses wine a good hiding hear ! I'm thinking of trying to put a system together with a multi coil cylinder with solar thermal , back boiler and electric boiler in my own home

Yes indeed a chap must be circumspect in all things.
Solar is a subject that interests me deeply. If I was 'starting out' again it would be one possible career choice.
Go easy on the vino.

Going easy wont be a problem it's all gone! getting to bed may present a whole different problem or even getting up for work in the morning not worth thinking about adleast for 6 hours anyway . You interested in solar pv or solar thermal , put a few solar thermals in allways suprised how well it works !

Both, but chiefly pv. If (when) battery technology improves it will be even better.
Would like to 'pick your brains' re. thermal in the fulness of time (as they say).

Reply to Motorised valve 2 port in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net