Discuss mounting a new 3 phase supply external cabinets and fire switch in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

3pinplug

This is my first post take it easy on me:charming:

I am building a single story timber frame workshop. its going to be timber clad also.
The local supplier is western power. I had a quote from them and although the workshop is literally a few hand tools and offices they insist on putting in a 3 phase supply, even though I mentioned we exist fine now on a single phase supply.

Because the timber frame is made from SIPS panels (OSB board, insulation, OSB board) then putting a flush mounted external cabinet is not an option (wall thickness is only 200mm overall and we dont want the cabinet in the SIPS panels)

we also dont want an externally mounted one as it has narrow access down the side that power would be coming into the building and is likely to get hit by a vehicle.

So here is the question, 3.3m away is a small lawn, could we build a small brick enclosure with a fiberglass roof on it and put a external cabinet inside for the 3phase supply, and then run a duct under the drive then up through the concrete raft foundation into a small plant room to a consumer unit. we'll run in the 3 phases but will only be using one or 2 and if we did this could our meters be outside in the box?

the other related question is do we have to have a fireman's switch for our supply and if so could this be mounted on this external brick enclosure and not on the building itself? i.e in the event of a fire the power could be cut to the building at this external enclosure?

Thanks for any advice.

I don't see any problem with your brick enclosure some years ago I did some projects that had exactly the same arrangement with a switchfuse within the brick enclosure to provide protection for the sub main to the building
I would contact the DNO and discuss your ideas with them as ultimately they are the people providing the supply and will offer the best advice

Thanks for the reply, I will contact DNO as you suggest, meanwhile I thought I'd throw open the question on here to see what those on the coalface think, or make suggestions if we could do things better.

Reply to mounting a new 3 phase supply external cabinets and fire switch in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net