Discuss 3 phase, Automatic Transfer Switch for Solar/Generator - EPS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
For power outages, my solar inverter (+battery) is able to take on the entire house load - as long as I unplug my collection of vintage kettles. ;) - this is called EPS mode - Emergency Power Supply. Needs to carry grid (3 phase, 69A/phase) or solar inverter (3ph, only 7000W max)

TL;DR: Can someone recommend an automatic changeover switch that ideally can be controlled with a smart home system - 12V trigger say (on UPS ;) ) or automatic (if grid fail detect, switch) but also manual?

Detail:

The first thought, after ruling out the frankenstein style blade switch ...
chrome_Cfb6SjeYIx.png

Is to just put in a manual switch, e.g.
chrome_zzQFkbgIeH.png

But how about this one;
chrome_dkmRslx5D1.png

On paper, and apart from the always-worrying chinese letters on my device.. this seems like I can control it with a 12V trigger signal. That sounds amazing. And super cheap.. Will it be legal to use a semi-dodgy looking device for grid power? And are there more respectable alternatives that can do the same thing?

You don't just need to consider the trigger input, you need also to consider the voltage required to actually transact the switchover mechanism because by the time you get to do it you'll effectively be dead on both sides. Or does your invertor not need a 230v standing supply to work?

Other than that, there's heaps of mainstream manufacturer automated AMF's available before resorting to dubious carp from the internet.

You don't just need to consider the trigger input, you need also to consider the voltage required to actually transact the switchover mechanism because by the time you get to do it you'll effectively be dead on both sides. Or does your invertor not need a 230v standing supply to work?

Great question, but I was planning to set up a minimal UPS system that really only powers the inverter and the smart 12v trigger system.. ha or a huge capacitor so the system can do it with its dying breath...
Other than that, there's heaps of mainstream manufacturer automated AMF's available before resorting to dubious carp from the internet.
I was genuinely trying to find this and couldn't. Search terms are hard though, I tried 'changeover, switchover' - and obviously the 3phase part makes things even rarer.

But perhaps your "Automated AMF" search term might help. Also happy to hear suggestions :)

We use one from Stephill generators, it covers the while check / switch / return sequence and included a charger to keep the generator's battery ready to do:
They all use the DeapSea control module, it can have a network adaptor for remote monitoring, but generally it manages everything you need for automated switching to generation.

Reply to 3 phase, Automatic Transfer Switch for Solar/Generator - EPS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net