Discuss Moving a Solar PV Installation to another property in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Ross37

Hi all,

I have looked to see if this has been answeres elsewhere but didn't come across anything obvious, my apologies if this may have been discussed before..

Basically we have a customer who has a 3.5kWp solar pv installation on his roof space under the 43.3p tariff (installed in feb '12)

He is moving house and wants to know if he takes the solar pv installation with him (i.e. we take it back off the roof and reinstall at his new address) will he still be able to recieve the 43.3p tariff for the rest of the 25 years, or will he fall into the new 21p tariff (if we re-install and commission the system before 31st July)

My understanding up until now had been that he would be able to move the system, have it recommissioned and take the current tariff with him
And in doing this it would be for him to speak to his energy provider to find out what their procedue was for doing this..

Our client has spoken to his energy provider (British Gas) who have told him this can not be done, and that the re-registered system would fall under the new / current tariff

Can anyone advise as to if they have come across this before, what the rules are for this? Or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

AFAIK, you can take your hardware with you, but the existing FITS tariff stays with both the property and the electric supply reference (mpan)

At the new property you would need to re-apply under the new regulations - ie. new tariff in connection with an EPC etc etc and go through having your system re-commissioned by a certified MCS installer AFAIK

I believe that only new panels can be used to claim FITs , even if you your customer was to recommission at their new house and take 21p, they would not be able to use their old panels. IMO they should build the cost of the installed system and its likely FIT generation into the cost of their old house and use that cash to buy a new system.

I believe that only new panels can be used to claim FITs , even if you your customer was to recommission at their new house and take 21p, they would not be able to use their old panels. IMO they should build the cost of the installed system and its likely FIT generation into the cost of their old house and use that cash to buy a new system.

Ooooooo, so the same would apply to the Inverter then.... ?? ( as all serial nos are registered on the database )

You don't register the panels anywhere so how would the FIT provider know if they had been reused?

I think the customer will loose their current FIT when they reapply based on the new MPAN, even if you take the generation meter and inverter with you.

You don't register the panels anywhere so how would the FIT provider know if they had been reused?

I think the customer will loose their current FIT when they reapply based on the new MPAN, even if you take the generation meter and inverter with you.

Apologies if i'm wrong and as a installer(and I am not) you should know, but I was under the impression that you had to enter the barcode of the panels somewhere in the registration process?

Also how are you going to provide the required papertrail if you do not buy any panels?

From the Ofgem guidance document

Use of refurbished or second hand equipment
2.21. In May 2011 the FIT Amendment Order clarified the situation in relation to the re-use of generating equipment. Where Ofgem has reason to believe that any generating equipment has formed part of an installation previously accredited under the FIT or RO schemes, the installation will not receive FIT accreditation.
2.22. Where a FIT installation is moved from its site, for example where its owner moves property and takes the generating equipment to their new property, they will not be entitled to receive a new FIT accreditation, nor will they be able to continue to receive FIT payments under their previous accreditation.

Reply to Moving a Solar PV Installation to another property in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net