Discuss My Panels Not performing as well as neighbour in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes you would lose your FIT if you changed your panels as a new MCS certificate would need to be produced meaning you'll be put on the currrent 15.44p/kWh.

So does that mean any system which needs repairs of any kind will automatically drop onto the then-current FiT band?

If so, there will be a lot of people who get a far lower total payback than they were led to believe - some may not break even.

So does that mean any system which needs repairs of any kind will automatically drop onto the then-current FiT band?

If so, there will be a lot of people who get a far lower total payback than they were led to believe - some may not break even.

My take on this is if you changed your panels, IE you bought cheap wing wong ping tong panels, then decided to change them at a later date to something decent this would mean a new MCS certificate would need to be produced.

As to the rest of the system IE inverter/wiring/switches etc, these are not included on certificates so could be changed.

I am unsure on the legalities if you were unfortunate and had a panel go faulty and it had to be replaced with a like for like.

Maybe if changing any panels for any reason then "silence is golden" would be the best rule to use, if you system still performs within the FIT generators tolerance who would ever check? Would EDF/EON/British Gas install scaffold and climb on your roof to remove the panels to check?

Panels are unlikely to fail if they have been installed correctly. Vandalism or "acts of God" are another issue and may be covered by the householder's insurance.

Replacing a panel with another of the same make and model should be ok (assuming they are still available). Actually, it may be better in 10 years to install a panel with 5w less to account for the slight degradation of the other panels in the string.

I wonder what the situation would be if someones panels set on fire and their whole system went up.

Would your FIT payments be lost when the new system was installed with a completely new set of panels?

Panels are unlikely to fail if they have been installed correctly. Vandalism or "acts of God" are another issue and may be covered by the householder's insurance.

Replacing a panel with another of the same make and model should be ok (assuming they are still available). Actually, it may be better in 10 years to install a panel with 5w less to account for the slight degradation of the other panels in the string.

Does that mean a secondhand panel of the same type would be acceptable as a replacement? Or do the replacements have to be new and fully documented?

You are not covered by your insurance for consequential loss, they would cover for the replacement of the system, but if that violated your tariff in some way, it would not cover for those losses.

You are required to maintain your system, i have read the contract and it states that if you do not notify them, they can come and back date any monies that they feel have been taken from the scheme from that point. If you have to maintain the system and the repairs make the system the same, i doubt they would be able to come back to you for it.

You do notify the SSEG with your system details at the point of installing the system, it wouldnt take them more than a few minutes to see what inverter etc you are meant to have as its on the system sheet/diagram etc.

Reply to My Panels Not performing as well as neighbour in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net