Discuss Nagy youtube rant about capping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Only watched a few minutes, is Nagy really that desperate with his pricing and time to make such an argument over not/ using oval conduit or capping.
I couldn't stand listening to any more either. He should stick to showing videos of his work, they were more interesting.

Only watched a few minutes, is Nagy really that desperate with his pricing and time to make such an argument over not/ using oval conduit or capping.

Not watched the video, but its description reads as follows:

Why should we be fitting capping? Such as small thing but yet it not only can cut your costs but reduce your time on site! It almost seems too good to be true. WELL, in this video I'll be going into a bit of detail on why you SHOULD be fitting capping. I'll be exploring the view of the customer, contactor and the law. HOPEFULLY at the end of this video, you'll agree with some of the points I made.

That suggests his position is that capping should be used and that he explores the issue from three different perspectives.

Always used clout nails over the edge of capping, as opposed nailing through the sides.

Can't see any legitimate reason to fit capping other than it looks more professional. I take the original point of protection from plasters trowel, but the same can be said of other trades in ceiling voids etc, damaging cables.

I haven't seen many dot & dab installs using capping/etc, same danger from trowel?

@Pretty Mouth what conduit's do you use in such installs?
I like to use screws if I'm fitting capping, sometimes with a bit of all round band bridging it. I find it easier and more reliable than nails, which can be a bit hit and miss on some walls. Probably just me being ham fisted.

If I'm plastering the chases myself, I don't usually use any protection. If someone else is plastering, then I'll fit steel capping where I think necessary/is expected, unless the plasterer says he doesn't want it. I sometimes fit oval conduit to switch drops only, I can see a case for additions to these points, but not so much to anywhere else.

Always used clout nails over the edge of capping, as opposed nailing through the sides.

Can't see any legitimate reason to fit capping other than it looks more professional. I take the original point of protection from plasters trowel, but the same can be said of other trades in ceiling voids etc, damaging cables.

I haven't seen many dot & dab installs using capping/etc, same danger from trowel?

@Pretty Mouth what conduit's do you use in such installs?
Unless you use metal capping it's a waste of time with plastic ,seen far too many plasterers slice the plastic stuff\

I like to use screws if I'm fitting capping, sometimes with a bit of all round band bridging it. I find it easier and more reliable than nails, which can be a bit hit and miss on some walls. Probably just me being ham fisted.

If I'm plastering the chases myself, I don't usually use any protection. If someone else is plastering, then I'll fit steel capping where I think necessary/is expected, unless the plasterer says he doesn't want it. I sometimes fit oval conduit to switch drops only, I can see a case for additions to these points, but not so much to anywhere else.
Sorry think I aimed my conduit question at the wrong person, someone from NI? 🙂

@Petej999 didn't use plastic capping, cos it splinter too much, but I doubt a trowel would slice plastic. Actually takes some time to dress the cables with capping in chases, as opposed flat to wall. Way back when, I did get a sample of plastic capping, thats was like very thin trunking, which you fixed to the wall, then put cables in, then clipped on lid. Did have a sample, but long gone, along with my van 😂

More likely to be a problem as a result of fitting capping IMO. Easy to nail the cable at the same time as the capping if you're not careful (particularly when dealing with several cables in a drop), and such a fault livens up the capping too, if metal
Well made point this. All that ungrounded metal does, nt sit right. Would it not make more sense to insist capping be plastic only

Well made point this. All that ungrounded metal does, nt sit right. Would it not make more sense to insist capping be plastic only
I haven't seen much of the flush metal capping as we don't use it, I thought there was a tag that connected to the CPC at the box ?

Would be decent in that case for prevention of electric shock and damage from nails and screws although if drops to points are vertical it's arguable they should be idiot proof , horizontal runs between points more likely to catch someone unawares

Reply to Nagy youtube rant about capping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net