Discuss Need for an outlet plate and a 13 amp socket for new oven/gas hob. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lekn123

DIY
Reaction score
Hi.I am a DIY enthusiasts and do have the basic knowledge of electric science.
As I am about to refurbish my kitchen,I have bought an electric single oven power rated at 3.60 kw and a gas hob power rated 1.3kw.
The existing setup is:6mm t/e cable running from CU/Fuse box (on a 32amp MCB) to 45 A Cooker control unit,then same rated cable runs to a double socket under the worktop behind a single oven.
Both new appliances are supplied with their own flex cables without 13amp plugs.
As far as I am concerned the oven being 3.60 kw has to be hardwired.
My question is: Can I hardwire both oven and gas hob(although it doesn't need to)on a dual outlet plate,or a new setup is needed in order to accommodate one single outlet plate for hardwiring the songle oven and one single socket for plugging the hob?
Any advice given to be considered for the best option when I am ready to hire a proffesional sparky.
20200119_164457.jpg
20200127_144655.jpg

replace the double socket back box with a dual single box, preferably 35mm deep. then fit a single socket and a Cooker outlet . existing circuitry is adequate. hard wire the oven and fit a plug to the hob flex.

Hi
replace the double socket back box with a dual single box, preferably 35mm deep. then fit a single socket and a Cooker outlet . existing circuitry is adequate. hard wire the oven and fit a plug to the hob flex.
Hi Tel
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
I was thinking the same for the depth of back box,because the existing one is on a 25mm deep box and to properly accommodate the Cooker outlet the box need to be 35mm,a bit of chopping on back of blockwork will be needed. Last thing Tel
Will it matter which part gets the feed cable first from the CCU and if that's the Cooker outlet will I have to reduce the cable thickness feeding the other half "The single socket" to 2.5mm or keep it the same 6mm?
In other words will the order of two halfs matter Single socket/Outlet or Outlet/Single socket?
Your advice is much appreciated.

feed the oven outlet in the existing 6mm from the 45A switch. you can then loop into the socket with either 6mm or 2.5mm. if using 2.5mm make sure the connections are goodas you will have 6mm and 2.5mm into a terminal. sometimes the 2.5mm can pull loose. above all else, make sure all connections are good, and don't forget the earth. with 6mm especially being stranded, you can get what's called copper strand creep. i.e. tighten, give it a few mins, give them a wriggle and you may be able to get an extra 1/2 turn on.

Hi Tel
Again,thanks a lot for the quick reply.
Up to now your are the best safe and neater option.
I had loads of different ideas from different people,sparks as well,most of them trying to add more setup sockets/outlets rather using the existing cutout in the wall.
Regarding the safety I will make sure it's all tight and safe in the end.
Once again thanks a lot for your precious advice.

Reply to Need for an outlet plate and a 13 amp socket for new oven/gas hob. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net