Discuss Need help with supply fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lex

IMAG0105.jpg
That's a picture of the supply fuse coming into the house i'm working on, all I need to do is change the Db, easy enough, all happy with that. Only question is how do I isolate the Db and make it safe to work on? the fuse in tagged in so can't be removed without cutting the tags but I'm not sure what issues might arise with the suppliers if I cut them. Theres no switch on the fuse unit to simply isolate. Need advice asap.
Cheers

well for a start....i am not encouraging potentially dangerous practices...such as pulling bullits....or going into the meter terminations...and disconnecting there.....
what i will say is this...you either:
1)wait for an age for the DNO/energy supplier to come out to interrupt the supply for you
2)as above....and have a DP iso fitted at the same time
3)disconnect yourself...a cheaper and quicker alternative
If an energy supplier sees that the meter seals have been cut...then it swings 2 ways:
Has any recent work been carried out that required a power outage to that property?...such as a board change..or:
Has no recent work been done there.....power theft?
the DNO will also take the same view...well should do anyway...

Yeah cheers to all who've replied, I was really hoping to not have to wait for the DNO but think I'd better had. Now we play the waiting game!!!

if you are getting DNO involved, make sure they fit an isolator. then they won't have to come twice.

Seeing as these meters can be remotely programmed, credit added etc., I wonder if they can be remotely switched off?
Worth checking if you're getting in contact with the supplier.

edit...

Not really safe isolation though, it could be powered back up while your still working! :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing as these meters can be remotely programmed, credit added etc., I wonder if they can be remotely switched off?
Worth checking if you're getting in contact with the supplier.
well i bet they can be remotely spied on....from a great height...just in case theres an interuption...

Last edited by a moderator:
those henley blocks are on the customers side of the meter, so the outgoing tails could be taken out ( carefully, with the CU main switch OFF )

I've never had any problems with cutting the link and pulling the main fuse. My name is all over the new boards I fit and phone number with date I fitted board etc so wouldn't be hard for them to find me. But after 20 years fitting boards no calls from electric company's. if they fitted the isolators there would never be the need to pull the fuse.

I can't see the image as I'm on my phone but sometimes there is enough slack to wedge a screwdriver between the carrier and base and hold it apart with the seal intact. Other wise I've had to cut the tag, you can buy seals and tags online and re crimp them afterwards, but they won't have the markings on then from the DNO.

remove the red cable from the henley, job done

NO
Turn off the main switch on the consumer unit first = no load
Then remove both the red and the black cables from the Henleys. Remember Neutral is also a live conductor.

Looking at the Henleys, you still have to cut the DNO seals on there (why do they do that?)

To LEX

If you involve the DNO then they may require a BS7671 cert or other certificate of safety/compliance before reconnecting.

I'm hoping that you have a full set of calibrated test equipment so you can check your new consumer unit?
I am also hoping that you have (or will) notify the local authority before starting work, or are you a registered electrician?.

nowt wrong with cutting the seals on the henleys, they're not DNO's .

Reply to Need help with supply fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net