Discuss New Desktop Time. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest123

Evening all.:sultan:

As the title suggests, it's time for a new desktop.

I'd like to know what machines you guys use and how you find them.

I don't really have any particular machine in mind, I do like the 'all in ones' though...no separate tower & cables etc.

TIA.:tongue3:

I made mine myself. I've had the same case for years, Intel core 2 duo processor with 3Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GFX, 250Gb hybrid drive, windows 7.
The advantages of building your own are that you can replace parts if they go wrong or upgrade bit by bit, and you can save a bit of cash on similar spec ready built machines.

I don't reckon I'd go for anything made by Apple - sure it looks pretty but if it goes wrong you have to take it to the Apple shop and bend over.

Im with Adam Build your own but use external drive for backup stuff Allin ones seem great BUT if 1 wee bit goes then its ALL away as for Apple they are APPLE everything goes wrong its Apple shop back room bend over the table

but the beatles made some good records with them

Evening all.:sultan:

As the title suggests, it's time for a new desktop.

I'd like to know what machines you guys use and how you find them.

I don't really have any particular machine in mind, I do like the 'all in ones' though...no separate tower & cables etc.

TIA.:tongue3:

Sounds like you need a laptop - all in one, cheap, portable....

I have an Acer Aspire AX3400

Mainly bought due to its size as I needed it to fit on my glass TV stand as its linked to my 42" TV.

It has an AMD Athlon II X3 435 triple core processor, 8 GB RAM overclocked. 1TB internal drive, 4 x 1TB my passport external drives, DVD Super multi optical, Nvidia GeForce 9200 graphics with HDMI out and in built multi card reader. 5 x front USB slots, 4 USB rear slots & eSata port. Built in Bluetoot & wi-fi.

Running Windows 7 corporate which is great. Really nice small format PC & a lot of power.

Most upgrades were done by me. Started with a shell & MB

Mainly use it for updating website, downloading music & vids & iTunes.

iPad for everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
£800 with office home & business and norton 360 gold thrown in.

Definitly pays to haggle!

My search for a laptop got me a HP 15.6 with a i5 processor, 6GB ram - for a little over £500 - I've got Office 2007
and anti virus paid for so that's me sorted for a few years!

I built mine myself and with a £500 budget built a great machine. So much more value for money and will never buy a pre built desktop again. Built quite a few for friends since and they are all very happy indeed aswell.

Build own machines, £800 is a lot of money, you can get an all in one the size of a small set top box for about £200 and sit it beside your TV, and build a high performance desktop for yourself for £250.00 and still have £350 left over to save in the bank, or spend on booze and DVDs and stuff......bit of fishing gear.....something for the caravan/campervan...or the motorbike.....or whatever....the all in one dektop could even go into a caravan.....

Reply to New Desktop Time. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net