Discuss new shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

iamelectric

installing new shower just shower unit no new wiring involved , old house no rcd protection , i need to install an rcd for new shower correct?

Unless you can run surface / mechanically protect etc, then you do buddy. You can get shower RCD units fairly cheap though to be honest.

I suspect that the new shower unit will come with maker's instructions. They may mandate the use of an RCD.

Personally I would want an RCD at any place where water, electricity and people come together.

I had a shower job last week, customer bought 9.5 kW triton cheap, I turn up , no rcd protection, 6mm feed to shower. Looked at manual and they state must be on 30 ma rcd. So got her to change shower to 7.5 kW and I will plop a shower rcd unit next to board. Bindings all in place jobs a good un.

what's wrong with 9.5kW on 6mm 40A as long as it's ref. method C?

agreed. you don't need to make the installation comply with 522.6.101, but if manufacturer stipulates a RCD, then yo have to fit one. otherwise, if the unit developes a fault, it's your arse that ain't covered.

Whenever I replace showers or lights or anything in a bathroom I always ensure its on a RCD, the Mira showers I've fitted recently say RCD in the instructions. Even like for like on bathroom lights, I tend to walk away unless I can get it on an RCD, more often than not you can just move an MCB to the protected side if the board, but failing that I say fit an RCD or get someone else to do it. Sounds a bit extreme I know, just feel better knowing it's protected, as others say where water and electric is involved it makes more sense.

Interesting issue and I dont know the answer so someone of higher knowledge than me please explain the rationale.

Original shower fitted without RCD protection (assume correctly to regs at that time) and identical shower now fitted to replace 'old' shower on a "like-for-like" basis (assuming they can still be sourced) but manuf instructions for the exact model now require an RCD whereas it didn't before (again assuming RCD's were being used then).

Can you claim replacement on a "like-for-like" basis as the current regs allow (and as instatallation was totally acceptable by the manufacturer originally for that model) or do you need to upgrade to current stds as if fitting new per manufaturers instructions? (i.e RCD protection).

Set aside that we all know that RCD protection is ideally the correct way forward for virtually anything that is fitted in the home, what is the actual position of what can or cannot be fitted to meet the regulations retrospectively?

Sorry if this is too deep an issue to be discussing on a Saturday night but as Im stuck at home baby-sitting I though I'd throw it in the pot to stop the rest of you lot going out and enjoying yourselves whilst Im remaining sober!!

what's wrong with 9.5kW on 6mm 40A as long as it's ref. method C?

What is 'ref. method C'? as I thought anything above 7.5kw needed to be on a 10mm feed? and 40A on a 6mm wouldn't the cable be burning out before the MCB trips? not trying to be clever just want to learn ;) or was your post sarcasm or something lol

Reply to new shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net