Discuss Nexus 7 install power issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

idi

Hi everyone :)

I have installed a 2013 Nexus 7 into my car and I am having a small issue with the power.

At the moment, it is connected via a accessory socket to USB converter thing, and is running at 2.1Amps. However the tablet isn't charging fast enough when I am using it, since it is using all the power from the USB to actually keep the thing running ( I have the music on, GPS, bluetooth, screen on full brightness etc). When the car is turned off, the power to the tablet stops and the battery starts to slowly go drain out.

So to sum up, the problem is the tablet isn't charging enough when the car is running, so the battery level stays the same as always, and when the car is turned off, the tablet is no longer charging so the battery drops even further. There is no way to actually make the battery percentage to go up unless I turn the screen brightness down, turn the music of etc when the car is running. (don't want to do this)

I have thought of 3 solutions, but I don't know which is the best:

1. Connect a small battery or something to the main car battery so the smaller battery charges when the car is running. When the car is stopped, the tablet could charge itself using the smaller battery, therefore not affecting the car battery so the car will start up in the morning :) However I'm not sure how to actually do this option.

2. Have some sort of timer switch so when the power from the ignition wire stops (When the car is switched off), switch to the main battery live for about an hour so the tablet can charge. However the problem with this is if i go for a 2min drive, it will charge for an hour after it everytime, and it might drain the car battery eventually. Again, i dont know how to do this either.

3. This is the simplest option and the only one i can actually do without any help. I could connect a switch to the power. In position 1, the power source will be directly from the battery. In position 2, it will be the ignition Live. So when i park up somewhere, i could switch it to position 1 and let it charge till i get back into the car.

Which option is the best to do? Does anybody have any more options?

All help appreciated :)

Thanks

put the damn thing in the glove box and concentrate on the road.

AS above I would have to question the safety of useing a tablet while driving? surely your car has a radio built in?

All you need is a better charging adaptor that will charge the tablet properly not a £0.50e e-bay one

and just insert a deep purple or led zepp cd in the radio.

I should have expected these kind of useless responses. I never use the tablet when i drive. I can control the volume and the track from the steering wheel. I don't even look at it unless i have the sat nav on, so i don't need your safety advice.

If your advice is going to help solve the problem, then please do reply. If not, please don't bother.

that's probably coz. we're electricians, not auto electricians. TBH, the smoke lighter in your motor will supply around 10 amps. the nexus will draw a charging current of much less. no matter what you do, this can't be altered.

Android devices are not suitable as sat navs if you want them to charge at the same time. Plugging them in will just mean they drain less slowly.
Use a built for purpose sat nav, they are designed to be used in this fashion.

Go see a local auto electrician to provide you with an outlet that works without the key being present.

The forum is not useless, you are just not getting the answers you expected. To formulate expectation in one's mind about the outcome of a given situation, is to set oneself up for disappointment.

To formulate expectation in one's mind about the outcome of a given situation, is to set oneself up for disappointment.

philosophy at it's best.

Reply to Nexus 7 install power issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net