Discuss 1ph to 3 phase inverter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

stokielee

Trainee
Reaction score
I have been asked if I can wire a motor for a car lifter in a domestic garage, however the motor is 3 phase and only single phase is available in the property. Is it possible to use a single phase to 3 phase inverter to power this motor? I will attach photos of the motor and its output.

Attachments

• 86a390e6-9c5f-4c68-b492-9ffd0f675460.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 20
  • acd53a78-a9ba-4bba-a8e1-ba57ed2bd720.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 20
short answer is yes.
however you will need to change the motor wiring from star to delta.
also the control circuit will need to be changed a little to accept 230v instead of 400v
it is not as easy to do as many people assume.

short answer is yes.
however you will need to change the motor wiring from star to delta.
also the control circuit will need to be changed a little to accept 230v instead of 400v
it is not as easy to do as many people assume.
Could you point in the right direction of what inverter I would need?

The wiring star to delta is pretty straight forward.
I will have to see about the control unit, hopefully it make more sense when I see it. Cheers

It's gonna be expensive to use a 230 single phase to 400v 3 phase inverter that's capable of supplying a 4kw AC3 motor load. Might be cheaper to just replace the motor with a 230v single phase type.

I have been asked if I can wire a motor for a car lifter in a domestic garage, however the motor is 3 phase and only single phase is available in the property. Is it possible to use a single phase to 3 phase inverter to power this motor? I will attach photos of the motor and its output.
I was going to say it is straightforward by using an inverter with single phase 230v input and 3 phase 230v output, and then connect the motor in delta. I've done this many times using Allen-Bradley Powerflex 4 series inverters, although less power rating than your application.
In delta, you will be looking for 17A/4kW 3 phase output and they don't appear to go that high. If you can find a manufacturer that makes one with that output, it should work.

No idea on the longevity but change the links to delta in the motor and use the below.

Link the run command in so as soon as it has power it will start to accelerate.

130 quid, job done.

Reply to 1ph to 3 phase inverter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net