Discuss No Earth Bond, was I right to pass? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elsid

A customer had recently purchased a brand new class 1 fan assisted flame effect electric fire in perfect working order, one that looks like a cast iron wood burner but is made of MDF painted black. It failed the earth bond test repeatedly but past the Leakage test. As the metal casing was underneath and on the back and had the CE mark, I past it telling him that it did not meet the safety regulations but I thought it was safe to use. Was I right or should I have failed it and told him to return it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's brand new it should comply.
Just because it's stamped CE doesn't mean it's compliant.
Just because it's new doesn't always mean it will, the design may have changed during production.

Is it from a well known E.U manufacturer or from outside and just has CE stamped on ?it.

if the appliance has no exposed conductive parts, it could be classII. there should then be a double square symbol somewhere on it.

if the appliance has no exposed conductive parts, it could be classII. there should then be a double square symbol somewhere on it.
There was an exposed metal housing underneath and the back panel was sheet metal. No class ll symbol and the plug was wired correctly with an earth. I realise I should have failed it but as it was new I did not want to open a can of worms, so to speak.

Also for future post add a photo I do it all the time either by camera or phone and I attach a before and after for the letting agent or landlord as it costs nothing to do and they quite like it

if theres no evidence/label indicating thats its class 2.....then treat it as class 1......but on a new piece of portable/current using equipment a quick look at the flex will often give the game away....

Did you get any readings from the tester, how far was it out ? Did you get a really good connection with the probe, sometimes when i am just about to fail on earth bond i sometimes manage to find a decent bit of clean metal to probe on.
cheers

If its got exposed metalwork on the underside, it must be part of the appliance chassis - that's where you pick up your earth connection.
"Simples"....

Reply to No Earth Bond, was I right to pass? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net