Discuss No fusebox or consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kevwright

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, new here just a bit confused about the electrical supply into our rented house and wonder if I can get some advice before speaking with my landlord?

I thought all houses had a consumer unit or at least an old fusebox?

All we seem to have is this in a cupboard under the stairs!

The daft thing is, we have lived here for 20 years, and have never had a fuse blow!

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0188.JPG

Hi Kev,
You might find there are 2 fuse (ceramic/re-wireable) behind the cream cover.
It is technically a very 'basic' consumer unit providing power and lighting circuits (probably no cooker)!

Hi Kev,
You might find there are 2 fuse (ceramic/re-wireable) behind the cream cover.
It is technically a very 'basic' consumer unit providing power and lighting circuits (probably no cooker)!

Thanks, so we do have a cooker of course, wonder how that is wired in?

Reason for asking is that we want to have an electric shower fitted so I guess we are gonna need a complete new consumer unit fitted first?

Kev

How old is the property? Have you ever been n the loft if it has one?

That looks like it could be an old style switch fused isolator, and your DB is in a remote location from the dno supply head,
Turn it off and open it up and have a look inside,

You could just have a dedicated shower board fitted and leave the existing BUT.
There may be other issues to consider though such as earth bonding as cant quite make out an earth connection in the photo.
Looks like a 'pipe clamp' on the lead sheath of the supply cable but where does the g/y cable go?

You could just have a dedicated shower board fitted and leave the existing BUT.
There may be other issues to consider though such as earth bonding as cant quite make out an earth connection in the photo.
Looks like a 'pipe clamp' on the lead sheath of the supply cable but where does the g/y cable go?

It goes into a hole in the floor!

Kev
[automerge]1570137218[/automerge]
That looks like it could be an old style switch fused isolator, and your DB is in a remote location from the dno supply head,
Turn it off and open it up and have a look inside,

Thanks, will prob get a proper sparky in to have a look I think

Kev

If you have been there for twenty years has there ever been an electrical safety check?

The cream unit is certainly your consumer unit. The fuse holders are located under the cover.
It would be best to have a new one fitted to facilitate the shower install and provide up to date protection. As said above, bonding may need to be looked at amongst other things.

The cream unit is certainly your consumer unit. The fuse holders are located under the cover.
It would be best to have a new one fitted to facilitate the shower install and provide up to date protection. As said above, bonding may need to be looked at amongst other things.

Thanks Andy, and everyone else for such quick helpful answers.

Am off to bed now so won't see any further answers after this post until tomorrrow :)

Kev

I’d bet the same. Seems to be three grey coloured cables going into the bottom of the cream coloured ‘thing’. Two would be the tails, and the other perhaps the shower?

I’d bet the same. Seems to be three grey coloured cables going into the bottom of the cream coloured ‘thing’. Two would be the tails, and the other perhaps the shower?

Worked with loads of these in the past, was even in one this week tutting and shaking my head. Admittedly the brown bakelite and metal versions are much more common round these parts though.

Metal clad with cover off
mem_fusebox_4way_metal_enclosed_inside.jpg

There is an estate of council bungalows near me and they all have these 2 circuit fuse boxes.
One 5a lighting circuit and One 15a radial for power.
All wired in black rubber cables.
I would recommend a full EICR

Reply to No fusebox or consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net