Discuss NON Apprenticeship way to be a Electrician. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DuaneMHunt1976

NB This was written in 2015, numbersmay change, even things you have to do.

Apprentice normally do City and Guilds2357 Level 2, Level 3 and AM2, also 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Edition (C&G2382). Currently we are on BS7671:2008 (2015) which is C&G2382-15.

The Apprentices have a edge I feel withhaving Working/Hands on skills, as they do it for a living. Otherpersons wanting to get in or out of their jobs have to learn as theywork on other jobs. So that been said I do feel the apprentices is away to go IF YOU CAN. But I'm 38 so I don't have that, but I can askaround if any one wants a helping hand, they would have to pay forinsurance wise, min wage and maybe 1hr-2hr worth, this will avoidmuch at a dole office and should be OK with the insurance.

Courses, at the moment the route isCity and Guilds 2365 level 2 an then Level 3, plus your 17[SUP]th[/SUP]edition. I would say after, ask again as it is forever changingroutes and numbers. Also City and Guilds isn't the ONLY governingbody, but is the highest respected one. There is EAL and Logic Cerf(I wouldn't suggest Logic Cert myself, I have been with C&G, EALand Logic Cerf, and I would avoid Logic Cerf if you can)

Currently after you done youInstallations Qualification (maybe get a bit of hands on for your ownconfidence) and your 17[SUP]th[/SUP] edition, its all you need to goSolo Trader. Shocking hay!! you will need Business Insurance andsuch, and tho you don't have to, you can join a Governing Body NICEICand Napit (Strome didn't want me as I hadn't been trading for 2years)

Other courses, tho NICEIC/Napit come out and check you cantest you don't have to do the course (I did it because BACK when Iasked Napit, they said I needed it, later they said I don't!). TheTesting Course are 2394 Initial Verification (any installations youhave done really) and 2395 Periodic s EIRC (ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONCONDITION REPORT) this is basically testing a system that is alreadyin place. The Courses are normally done together as so much overlaps, (I did it signal as I was worried that I may mess up, this costme more money tho). The 2394/5 should be similar to what you did in2365 Level 3 (I did 2330 Level 3 what was the courses name before2365). EAL do a version of these course, and is easier as it is OPENBOOK, appose to the City and Guild that isn't (but people who havegotten the City and Guild version are a bit more respected, and 2391[old joint name for the course] even more so)

Then you have 2396 Design, this is alevel 4. Ive not looked at it yet, and I would guess not many placesdo it, as for a college/further education center to do the coursethey would need to have a set number of people doing the course.

Also if you want you can do Bridge Unitand a Portfolio of examples of work to convert your 2365 to a 2357.As far as I understand you have to be employed to do this. Maybe ifyou can find someone to help you do the needed parts for this, youcould get the credits so get the FULL NVQ3 and get a ECS GOLD CARD.

You will NOTE that all the Numbers ofCourse are City and Guilds, its what everyone seems to know, but youcan go with EAL and here is a LINK, if you are unsure, find the Cityand Guilds course and then look up the number on their site, find thename of the course and then look on EAL,
Electrotechnical - Page 1 of 2 - EAL qualifications catalogue

<if I've messed up any were, or shouldn't posted this, do edit it Admin/Mods>

you can do 2365 level 3 and then do a bridge unit to get the FULL NVQ3 2357, but if you want to go self employed you dont need it for the likes of NICEIC/Napit.

The who idea of this post was people of MY AGE or WORKING who wanted to change to Electrical's. And if bothed to read it, i suggest If you can get a Apperiship then TAKE IT.

you can do 2365 level 3 and then do a bridge unit to get the FULL NVQ3 2357, but if you want to go self employed you dont need it for the likes of NICEIC/Napit.

The who idea of this post was people of MY AGE or WORKING who wanted to change to Electrical's. And if bothed to read it, i suggest If you can get a Apperiship then TAKE IT.

didnt mean to sound bad, came out wrong...i was just wondering so if i have a 2365 level three ill just have to do another year to get 2375 (nvq3)...

Also if you want you can do Bridge Unitand a Portfolio of examples of work to convert your 2365 to a 2357.As far as I understand you have to be employed to do this. Maybe ifyou can find someone to help you do the needed parts for this, youcould get the credits so get the FULL NVQ3 and get a ECS GOLD CARD.

Because the 2365 is CLASSROOM, it dosnt have the Hands on like the 2357 dose, or the AM2. But you can do a extra unit and the Portfolio to show you can do the work, like you would in 2357, and therefore gain the NVQ3 .. plus would have to do AM2

Because the 2365 is CLASSROOM, it dosnt have the Hands on like the 2357 dose, or the AM2. But you can do a extra unit and the Portfolio to show you can do the work, like you would in 2357, and therefore gain the NVQ3 .. plus would have to do AM2

the thing is apprenticeship or not we learn the same things in the classroom?

yes we all learn the same thing. it can be a Catch 22 , Apprenticeships are young persons right out of school, in college for the first time and some will mess around, but coming form education they might learn quicker.
Adults, Paying for the course, Want the Change (seen what a hell hole some companies can be), but being back in a class after 10-20yrs out of it, having some one Yap on.
Myself, ive always been in Education one way or another, i really need to be always doing English as it just keeps dropping off. But inbetween doing Open Uni Courses and other things.
There is always things out there to LEARN and KEEP on LEARNING, any Subject you are intrested in..
Me Electronic Musical Instruments . still dream of getting time to put a Theremin together
and I've designed a multi bleed circuit for a guitar

yes we all learn the same thing. it can be a Catch 22 , Apprenticeships are young persons right out of school, in college for the first time and some will mess around, but coming form education they might learn quicker.
Adults, Paying for the course, Want the Change (seen what a hell hole some companies can be), but being back in a class after 10-20yrs out of it, having some one Yap on.
Myself, ive always been in Education one way or another, i really need to be always doing English as it just keeps dropping off. But inbetween doing Open Uni Courses and other things.
There is always things out there to LEARN and KEEP on LEARNING, any Subject you are intrested in..
Me Electronic Musical Instruments . still dream of getting time to put a Theremin together
and I've designed a multi bleed circuit for a guitar

thanks for the explaination, i ask because iv been working as a electricians mate for two years while doing the level 1 and 2 2365. However now im going to do an apprenticeship for my level 3 and nvq, so i was just wondering how long it would take me. I know to be self employed you dont need nvq3 but you know having it is good just in case work isnt coming in

If i could get NVQ3 i would, im just worried that I've hit my limit of Reading and doing tests.
I think i could do the 2357 but i dont think i could handle a AM2

thanks for the explaination, i ask because iv been working as a electricians mate for two years while doing the level 1 and 2 2365. However now im going to do an apprenticeship for my level 3 and nvq, so i was just wondering how long it would take me. I know to be self employed you dont need nvq3 but you know having it is good just in case work isnt coming in
i started my aprentaship in 2012 and finished it this year.

i know some guys that did there nvq in a year but i also know they probably fudged it, there that type of person

i started my aprentaship in 2012 and finished it this year.

i know some guys that did there nvq in a year but i also know they probably fudged it, there that type of person

hmm. what exactly does the nvq entail, do you enrol at college for it after level 3? who gives the booklet to fill in? do you have to take pictures?

hmm. what exactly does the nvq entail, do you enrol at college for it after level 3? who gives the booklet to fill in? do you have to take pictures?
the nvq is the whole course now.

before you get onto the logbook you need to have done the level2/3 certs and passed or have relevent prior learning

for example i had done my 2330 level2/3 before i started it.

you will be assessed via workplace witnesses and photo evidence along with writeups, not too hard inho just time consuming

the nvq is the whole course now.

before you get onto the logbook you need to have done the level2/3 certs and passed or have relevent prior learning

for example i had done my 2330 level2/3 before i started it.

you will be assessed via workplace witnesses and photo evidence along with writeups, not too hard inho just time consuming

thanks mate, so for the 3 years you were basically filling in the log book?

Would be interested to know what installations you have to show for the 2357 and more about Am2 (some times it sounds like a mace-ion test to join a cult)
Or a big post and you have a brown and blue cables coming off the post and you peace your nipples and attach the cable and.pull back to.see.if you can.last all night... To become a man my son, a electrician type...or is that just what plays in my mind

Would be interested to know what installations you have to show for the 2357 and more about Am2 (some times it sounds like a mace-ion test to join a cult)
Or a big post and you have a brown and blue cables coming off the post and you peace your nipples and attach the cable and.pull back to.see.if you can.last all night... To become a man my son, a electrician type...or is that just what plays in my mind

frmQCF_AssessmentTracker.aspx-page-001.jpg

frmQCF_AssessmentTracker.aspx-page-002.jpg

thats what i had to do along with writeups etc

Last edited:
basically, could have done it quicker but assessor was stringing it out. i had enough evidence to complete 80% of it iin less than the first 3-6months.

im not disappointed in a way because i have had a lot of hands on experience because of it

wow 80% of the book, but off course hands on experience is never a loss mate

wow 80% of the book, but off course hands on experience is never a loss mate
i have worked on some big projects though.

first proper new install job was 3 floors in a new hospital wing (inc rooftop plantroom and basement steam room)

doing work in some cat3 labs etc was interesting, first one we did the builders knew what they were doing

the second the builders were clueless and on a refurb as well

Reply to NON Apprenticeship way to be a Electrician. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net