Search the forum,

Discuss Numeric core identification. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sintra

Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Guys I would like some opinions on the use of numeric cable core identification for LV circuits. See 514.5.

Eg. If using a 5 core YY flex with all cores coloured black and marked in white with 1 - 4 plus a green/yellow cpc. Can these be connected into a DB without any addition sleeving ie. Core 1 to L1, core 2 to L2, core 3 to L3 and core 4 to neutral.

but in saying that if it is numbered 123 and 4 going to neutral,,, he need to be blind so maybe you can puncture holes for brail,,, upto you ladd!!!!!!

Let's talk strictly regs, sleeving or not? Cables to be connected into a DB along with cables with coloured identification.

For me colored sleeving is needed unless indents include the phase or neutral designation. We sleeve all cores if LV and don't sleeve instrumentation. All cores identified with silver foxes.

Strictly according to the regs, then no, not required (see 514.3.1 (i) which explicitly says and/OR). The use of or implies that using either colour or one of the number/labelling schemes is the only requirement. Not sure it's good practice though.

I generally just make it clearly L1/L2... etc without sleeving (apart from the earth), I find this clearly shows which core is being used for which purpose.

Guys I would like some opinions on the use of numeric cable core identification for LV circuits. See 514.5.

Eg. If using a 5 core YY flex with all cores coloured black and marked in white with 1 - 4 plus a green/yellow cpc. Can these be connected into a DB without any addition sleeving ie. Core 1 to L1, core 2 to L2, core 3 to L3 and core 4 to neutral.
Hi Sintra,
says "Conductors may be marked with numbers, the number 0 (zero) being reserved for the neutral or midpoint conductor."
Also the preferred list for the identification of conductors is given in Table 51

When ever we used YY all cores carried a drive/circuit identification ferules. Only one machine didn’t and everyone hated working on it.

Reply to Numeric core identification. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net