Discuss Observations please? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Remote barn conversion? Largest SWA is incoming supply. Yet to establish where meter is :rolleyes: Getting a Ze at this point of about 58 Ohms.

FCED78CD-DEF0-4377-9C95-5D4C6E4C29D2.jpeg

Here’s the pic that I thought I’d uploaded!

Assuming this is fed from another building? So this would be a distribuition circuit giving you Zs or Zdb? Where are you measuring from? If you have checked the SWA gland and banjo and fly lead are all secure (you could pull the shroud away and try and get a measurement from the actual armour), then it must be either damaged cable or a problem at the other end.
[automerge]1583573785[/automerge]
Seems odd to earth that DB with a fly lead to the trunking when there is an earth terminal in the isolator next to it. Where do the other phases go?

Cheers Shaun. Installation is about 16 years old and from what I’ve seen, pretty shoddy. I’m told the supply comes from a pole and the meter is in a box in a field about 100m from the house.

Whenever I see cables such as these where you can see the spirular pattern of the stranded cables exposed on the insulation I can't decide if that is thermal degradation or just how the cable is. What do others think?
P.S. did you have ATT. on or off?

The larger SWA is the feed in and goes to the block which then feeds that 100A fused isolator that then feeds out on the next largest SWA to another RCD protected DB doing most of the circuits in the house. Theres another feed from the block to the DB top left that does a couple of circuits in the utility and hall area.

Told that it is a TT arrangement. ATT was off, I disconnected the main earths to the 100a switch and DB you can see in the photo and basically measured from the switch and the bonded bolt on the metal trunking where the 16mm main earth is attached. Isolated location with gas via bottles and plastic pipe water supply.

As its a SWA and there is no meter this is obviously a private supply. You say it comes from a pole so it must be a private OHL. There will be lots of connections all the way back to the source so I would be checking them, I would also consider TTing it.

Interesting.Thanks for comments. Mates place, first went round there about 18 months ago due the regulation multitude of burnt out 12v downlights. The more I look the more horrors I uncover. Classic project that looks like it ran out of money.

Reply to Observations please? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net