Discuss old garage door in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DDnot

Hi! I am doing an installation for a garage detached to a house. The garage is going to be converted within a few months into a living area. There are no water or gas services. Nothing really to bond apart from old metal garage door which will be removed during the conversion work anyway. There are no cables around the door or close to it. Do you think I should earth-bond the door temporarily? According to the regs I guess I should. What do you think? By the way the installation is completely separate from the main one through henley block and has a new consumer unit with RCD.

Yes mate, I would leave bonds available for the gas and water if you know where these enter the building, I would bond all other pipes together that are in close proximity to one another.

the door obviously has a massive metal frame which forms part of the building. I know that only exposed metal structural parts of the building should be earthed-bonded. The question is " Is the massive, in-built metal door frame a structural part of the building?" . I would say it is, even that it is not a part of the construction of the building itself.

To ascertain whether something needs bonding, you first have to test it to see whether it is an extraneous conductive part or not. I'm assuming that as you are an electrician you know how to carry out this test? If not, have a look in GN8. Don't just bond things because they are metal, or someone could get hurt.

Most the metal garage doors I deal with do not need bonding/earthing. They are not normally in contact with the earth and do not introduce an earth potential. As Guitarist says, do the test which will tell you.

the door obviously has a massive metal frame which forms part of the building. I know that only exposed metal structural parts of the building should be earthed-bonded. The question is " Is the massive, in-built metal door frame a structural part of the building?" . I would say it is, even that it is not a part of the construction of the building itself.

You most probably meant Extraneous Metal, exposed is the part of electrical installation exp: metal trunking conduit trey, metal enclosures and so on.

Surely you cannot bond it, however you could earth it. But if it was my job i would not earth it, especially knowing it was coming out

If it's a metal frame in contact with the general mass of earth, and as such is classed as an Extraneous conductive part, then why can't it be bonded pray tell? Additionally, not bonding it because "it was coming out at some point" would be no defense if someone were to get hurt in the meantime.
What the OP has not yet ascertained, it seems, is whether or not the framework is an ECP.

never seen garage doors with metal frames in a domestic. usually a metal door in a wood frame.

stat a new competent persons scheme. watch the money roll in, soon have a million.

If it's a metal frame in contact with the general mass of earth, and as such is classed as an Extraneous conductive part, then why can't it be bonded pray tell? Additionally, not bonding it because "it was coming out at some point" would be no defense if someone were to get hurt in the meantime.
What the OP has not yet ascertained, it seems, is whether or not the framework is an ECP.
exactly...

Hi! I am doing an installation for a garage detached to a house. The garage is going to be converted within a few months into a living area. There are no water or gas services. Nothing really to bond apart from old metal garage door which will be removed during the conversion work anyway. There are no cables around the door or close to it. Do you think I should earth-bond the door temporarily? According to the regs I guess I should. What do you think? By the way the installation is completely separate from the main one through henley block and has a new consumer unit with RCD.

If it is being removed why would you want to bond it?

Another one who does not know what their doing after a 5 day course I think.

If it is being removed why would you want to bond it?

Another one who does not know what their doing after a 5 day course I think.

I don't think you can ever assume anything. If it does need bonding and the "conversion" was to take a year or 2, how would you make the decision not to bother? My philosophy is to bond anything that needs it, then remove it when it's no longer needed, although we still haven't established whether it even needs it yet, as the op seems to have lost interest !!!

I naively assumed the frame would be simply bolted to the garage structure and as such would not create a path to earth hence not being able to bond to it

Reply to old garage door in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net