Discuss Opinions please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have an extension to wire this week which is a garage conversion comprising a study, shower room and small store area. The supply is TT and I'm intending on running a 16mm sub main from the existing mains position under the suspended floor through the hall in the house and installing a new small CU with RCBOs in the new store area. Due to the earthing arrangements I'll fit an S type 100ma RCD and 60a Switch-fuse [possibly 63a MCB] at the supply end, either seperate units linked by tails or integrated in one unit if I can source something suitable. Do you think these items should be Amendment 3 compliant as I don't think I've seen such a beast yet ? Any pointers to similar recently used kit would be welcome. :smilewinkgrin:

I have an extension to wire this week which is a garage conversion comprising a study, shower room and small store area. The supply is TT and I'm intending on running a 16mm sub main from the existing mains position under the suspended floor through the hall in the house and installing a new small CU with RCBOs in the new store area. Due to the earthing arrangements I'll fit an S type 100ma RCD and 60a Switch-fuse [possibly 63a MCB] at the supply end, either seperate units linked by tails or integrated in one unit if I can source something suitable. Do you think these items should be Amendment 3 compliant as I don't think I've seen such a beast yet ? Any pointers to similar recently used kit would be welcome. :smilewinkgrin:

If it has a suspended floor would it be just as easy to run the new circuits back to the existing CCU position? Split the tails and add in new board at this position or upgrade the existing board if the customers willing to pay. This way would be cheaper and Imo more convenient for the customer by not having a board in a remote position.

f729d86fffe8d3dcb974e99c6cbc6e7c.png
Wylex now make switch fuses for use in a domestic property.

If it has a suspended floor would it be just as easy to run the new circuits back to the existing CCU position? Split the tails and add in new board at this position or upgrade the existing board if the customers willing to pay. This way would be cheaper and Imo more convenient for the customer by not having a board in a remote position.

I did think of that Lee but he wants the new bit seperate as it may be a self contained holiday let in the future.

Thanks Lee, not a bad price, I had afeeling it would be more than that ! Still leaves me with the S type RCD to fit and enclose appropriately though, and all this will sit next to an existing insulated CU. :banghead:

Had to fit a couple of Wylex Amd 3 units a couple of weeks ago in an awkward spot at the back of a cupboard, the lids were a pain to fit with the drop down covers and the metal blanks fell out more than once. :mad:

That's what I mean, I've been quoted similar...most wholesalers seem to be trying to rip the arse out if it. These ones are just as good, do exactly the same job and for under £2...cant complain at that.

I actually tried a standard 32mm Wiska plastic gland asan experiment with 16mm tails/10mm earth and found the insert squashes/compresses enough to seal it all up pretty well. [It would certainly meet IP4X]

For the rcd enclosure you might have to use a two way board and a couple of blanks. Cant seem to find anything compliant.

That's what I'm thinking Lee, tempting to use a small compliant board with the S type as the main switch and a 63a MCB for the sub main, but compared to a fuse it could cause discrimination issues I think. :smile5:

That's what I'm thinking Lee, tempting to use a small compliant board with the S type as the main switch and a 63a MCB for the sub main, but compared to a fuse it could cause discrimination issues I think. :smile5:

That's the problem as even a 6A mcb will offer none to very little discrimination with the 63A mcb...in an ideal world you would put the distribution circuit on a fuse.

Reply to Opinions please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net