Discuss Opinions please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is it an actually requirement that the door is hinged to shut itself? Just think if you had to install a 3phase board within a domestic property if this was the case.

No,it's not a specific requirement....but for me that is not complying with the intention of the regulation which is a fire resistant enclosure over all 'combustible' components as far as is practical. That is why all Am 3 designed enclosures I've seen have a top hinged metal lid. I wouldn't fit that wylex unit. I take your point about the 3 phase board,but that would easily be overcome by fitting 3 separate single phase DB's if you took the view that a side hinged door was not compliant. I would take that view as the door left open would negate any fire resistance of exposed 'combustible' components.

Last edited by a moderator:
The hinged lid is a good idea but I've already seen a board installed where the wall was out and the lid ever so slightly stayed open. Imo a catch or similar is better. Edit: What switch fuse would you install? As there doesn't appear to be many on the market atm that meet the requirements.

Last edited:
What brand of RCBOs you using in the new CU.? Always found DP versions tricky to get

That's a good point, as you've rightly noticed I'm talking about a TT install. I might even go with a small dual RCD board if this proves problematic although single pole switched neutral RCBOs would comply. All a bit OTT when there will be DP isolation upstream and the sockets will all be DP as well as the shower isolator.

what about the fan that you're feeding off the shower through a 10A SP pull cord switch? :willy_nilly:

what about the fan that you're feeding off the shower through a 10A SP pull cord switch? :willy_nilly:

Now then we're not all bodgers you know ! [Seen similar to that done though:biggrin:] The fan will be off the lighting circuit via a 3 pole isolator. :angel_smile:

anyone ever managed to set one of these on fire? i've tried with a blowtorch. it just chars. will not ignite, ergo it's non-combustible. it's a totally different type of plastic to the crap they make CUs from.

CGMSF100.JPG

then use it then. only thing with them is they're designed for incomer at bottom, out at top. can fuse at 40,60,80 or 100A.

ewdit: and the switch is down for ON.

Reply to Opinions please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net