Discuss Opinions please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

then use it then. only thing with them is they're designed for incomer at bottom, out at top. can fuse at 40,60,80 or 100A.

ewdit: and the switch is down for ON.

And the S type RCD could be right next to it in a nice insulated enclosure but I'd be contravening the regs Tel.... :mad2:

I used one of these recently on a job. Tails in the top using Wago sprint glands in one knockout. 16mm SWA glanded at the bottom. Comes with 3 fuses and mine had a metal hinged door on it rather than the plastic in the picture.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CGFS100.html

Only downside is it is a bit big if your tight for space.

That could be ideal, could even put the S type RCD in that instead of the 100a DP switch , tin hat on now. :grin:

my understanding of the new regulation is that only domestic consumer units and "similar switchgear containing OPD's" need to be of a non combustable construction.

a standalone rcd has a completely different British standard / product definition to a c.u. therefore would fall outside the requirement and a pvc enclosure could be continued to be used.

to put it another way , you may find that on a TT arrangement the dno may prefer or even insist on double insulated upfront isolating / rcd enclosures for obvious safety reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
my understanding of the new regulation is that only domestic consumer units and "similar switchgear containing OPD's" need to be of a non combustable construction.

a standalone rcd has a completely different British standard / product definition to a c.u. therefore would fall outside the requirement and a pvc enclosure could be continued to be used.

to put it another way , you may find that on a TT arrangement the dno may prefer or even insist on double insulated upfront isolating / rcd enclosures for obvious safety reasons.

Where did you get the 'containing opds' bit from? It doesn't say that in the regs.

A standalone RCD in a 2way enclosure is very similar switchgear to a CU.

Why would the DNO give a monkeys? After their terminals they really don't worry too much unless your tails are too long or you damage their network somehow

Where did you get the 'containing opds' bit from? It doesn't say that in the regs.

A standalone RCD in a 2way enclosure is very similar switchgear to a CU.

Why would the DNO give a monkeys? After their terminals they really don't worry too much unless your tails are too long or you damage their network somehow

The RCD will be going in the same Amd 3 Compliant enclosure as the cartridge fuse, the RCD will take the place of the usual DP switch [100a rated 100ma time delayed] so I'm covered and it'll be a nice tidy solution. :smile:

Reply to Opinions please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net