Discuss Outdoor Lighting and Summer House Supply in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

llcooldl

Hi All,

I'm installing outdoor lighting and electrical supply to a summer house at the bottom of a 100ft garden.

The overall load is going to be as follows:

10 low energy decking lights (up to 50 foot away from summer house / 40-70 foot from house), running from a 12V transformer.

6 Outdoor lights on the patio at the end of the garden (m.ains powered)

Standard lighting in a small shed (1 light socket) and in the summer house (2 light sockets)

And the summer house will contain a fridge freezer and stereo (two double sockets)

Will also run garden electrical equipment (lawn mower, strimmer etc.) from outdoor sockets (1 double).

I will be using SWA cable from the house to the end of the garden in the summer house.

Most probably fitting a garage consumer unit so that the lighting is off one side and the sockets off the other.

There will be a spur switched fuse at the house to be able to shut down the whole supply.

All the lighting will be on one light switch at the end of the garden (rather annoyingly as I can't work out an inexpensive way of doing it!).

All outdoor switches / sockets will be IP66 rated.

The CU in the main house has no capacity for a dedicated outdoor circuit and is RCD protected.

My concern is that this will be too much load for a spur from the main house (I planned to use a 30A junction box?

Should I extend the downstairs ring main instead of a spur (doubling the amount of SWA!) or does that make no difference?

What SWA should I use for the main run? Does it need to be more than 2.5mm? (I only ask as I have about 100m!)

All advice greatly appreciated!

Andy

P.S. If you are "qualified" to do the above work and live near Hockley in Essex please get in touch! Given my dad is a sparky I can't believe I'm having to pay someone to do the work! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy,

A few concerns mate ..... firstly, just to let you know its all notifiable work.

All the sockets need to be protected by and RCD (17th Ed)

Your cable size needs to be calc'ed from your max demand (after diversity) and at 100m, you are going to struggle with too big a voltage drop on 1.5mm2.

The length of cable in the ELV circuit is also going to cause you concerns with Vd

Your fused spur will only supply 13A......you would normally be better to run a dedicated supply off the tails through a dedicated rcd and then down....

A 200m ring extention is def not the way to go...

If an earth fault occurs in the house, this will be introduced to the out buildings and is better to install a TT spike and run a separate earth.......

If you are starting out and are newly qualified, you may want to seek some additional help from a local spark on this one buddy....

Hope this helps..

Andy,

A few concerns mate ..... firstly, just to let you know its all notifiable work.

All the sockets need to be protected by and RCD (17th Ed)

Your cable size needs to be calc'ed from your max demand (after diversity) and at 100m, you are going to struggle with too big a voltage drop on 1.5mm2.

The length of cable in the ELV circuit is also going to cause you concerns with Vd

Your fused spur will only supply 13A......you would normally be better to run a dedicated supply off the tails through a dedicated rcd and then down....

A 200m ring extention is def not the way to go...

If an earth fault occurs in the house, this will be introduced to the out buildings and is better to install a TT spike and run a separate earth.......

If you are starting out and are newly qualified, you may want to seek some additional help from a local spark on this one buddy....

Hope this helps..

Agree with some of the above, the main thing is the OP is talking in feet with everything so the supply to the end of the garden will be 40m ish rather then the 100m you originally thought Rick ;)

I would suggest getting a spark in though as this job isn't a straight forward one and unfortunately for yourself being an electrician isn't hereditary. I would also think that running a separate supply to the end of the garden from the consumer unit would be a better idea but i don't know how practical this would be as i don't know how your house is laid out.

Thanks for the replies so far!

I will not be doing this myself! I know "sparky" is not an inhertited gene, dad has just had a stroke in his communication centre so is unable to do the work / advise plus he retired 10 years ago anyhow! (London Liverpool St was his handy work ;) The life of my three kids, wife and myself is worth far more than a few hundred quid to pay a sparky to do it properly!

I really should have pointed out that at the moment my garden is a blank canvas. I am redoing the drive and front and back gardens, buying the summer house, building brick walls etc and that part I am doing myself, it will take me about 6 weeks. I will be getting a sparky to do the electrics IF I can afford to do what needs to be done, otherwise I won't be having electric in my garden!

At this stage all I really want to do is understand what needs to be done so that I can at least lay the armoured cable (unconnected at both ends!) in the right location before laying the patio / driveway / pathways as the cable is going to run underneath these! This way I can get a sparky in a few months time to do the rest of the work.

I know the depth needs to be at least 450 mm (some say 600mm?) and identification tape needs to be burried at 150 mm and I need a detailed drawing plan (I have drawn my house and garden in 3D on CAD to scale and will put underground cables on this once I know where they are), before anyone says it the cable will be run along the property boundary.

Getting to the main consumer unit is not a problem as the drive will be up for a short while and I plan to lay the cable then. As I said in my original post there is no spare capacity on the current consumer unit to add a dedicated ring main for the garden which is ideally what I would want to do.

So two remaining questions...

Will the outdoor circuit HAVE to connect to the main consumer unit? (I do only need 13 Amp!)

What core thickness armoured cable do I need? (If not 2.5mm does anyone want 100 m ??? ;)

many thanks
Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with some of the above, the main thing is the OP is talking in feet with everything so the supply to the end of the garden will be 40m ish rather then the 100m you originally thought Rick ;)

I would suggest getting a spark in though as this job isn't a straight forward one and unfortunately for yourself being an electrician isn't hereditary. I would also think that running a separate supply to the end of the garden from the consumer unit would be a better idea but i don't know how practical this would be as i don't know how your house is laid out.

Cheers Dunc.... my eyes were shutting while writing and my brain had obviously already taken itself to bed :)

The misus keeps complaining when I estimate sizes as well...?

This thread just has to be a wind up! The very idea of extending a ring by an extra 60m in swa just boggles the mind.

I really do feel like I've wasted 3 minutes of my life on this.

This thread just has to be a wind up! The very idea of extending a ring by an extra 60m in swa just boggles the mind.

I really do feel like I've wasted 3 minutes of my life on this.

Thanks Mr PC! That most certainly answers the question about having to get a new main CU!

Next can anyone tell me the correct core SWA that will be needed?

Split the tails with henley blocks to a switch fuse unit then swa to summer house, then small rcd CU for circuits. Need to calculate Vd carefully. Would be the way i would go. :)

edit :unless you want/need to replace main CU

Reply to Outdoor Lighting and Summer House Supply in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net