Discuss Outdoor Lighting and Summer House Supply in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can't llcoolld just run 2 x 2.5mm cables in parellel to the new CU if he requires to?

He could... but he won't need to for the loads mentioned.:)

Thanks for the comments. Yes they are indeed 0.12W, 3 x 0.12W per light, they are decorative LEDs - not for reading ;)

apologies - was right about there not being much light though lol

I think I'll need a torch to see them ;)

Really daft question coming up...

If the outdoor power is going to be from main cu to a garage cu in the shed do I need to lay one length of cable or do I need to run a loop (length there and length back)????

Please remember the only thing I'm doing myself is laying the underground cable! The connection work will be done in a few
months time once I have the money!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the outdoor power is going to be from main cu to a garage cu in the shed do I need to lay one length of cable or do I need to run a loop (length there and length back)????

!

From what you have said 1 length of 2.5mm² SWA will be more than enough. :)

edit if you are burying, 18" is usually considered adequate and when refilling put yellow warning tape about 6" above cable.

Are you direct burying the cable or planning to install it in a suitably sized duct/pipe?? It might be worth that little extra outlay, as if direct burying, you ''will'' need to thoroughly sift the the bed and back-fill soil of sharp stones etc!!!

Thanks all for such great replies. :)
I also installed the similar outdoor lighting last year but could not get any result because i was not aware of the electrical supply needed. I hope this post would help others like me also.

Are you direct burying the cable or planning to install it in a suitably sized duct/pipe?? It might be worth that little extra outlay, as if direct burying, you ''will'' need to thoroughly sift the the bed and back-fill soil of sharp stones etc!!!

Direct burrying. I wanted to cut a small section off the end to just check the diameter of the cable. I took my 10lb very sharp axe, swung over head in to the cable laying on hard ground and all I achieved was to squash it slightly. Having then used an electric hacksaw (and a lot of patience) to cut through it I noticed that where the axe had hit has had no impact on the integrity of the inner cores sheath.

The cable I have is industrial, used by British Rail.

Do I really need to go to all that trouble?

Direct burrying. I wanted to cut a small section off the end to just check the diameter of the cable. I took my 10lb very sharp axe, swung over head in to the cable laying on hard ground and all I achieved was to squash it slightly. Having then used an electric hacksaw (and a lot of patience) to cut through it I noticed that where the axe had hit has had no impact on the integrity of the inner cores sheath.

The cable I have is industrial, used by British Rail.

Do I really need to go to all that trouble?

The correct way of installing an armoured cable adhering to guidance would be to dig a trench (depth dependent on the land usage) then part fill with soft sand , then loosely lay the cable(to allow for earth movement), then some sort of capping, more refill then a yellow warning tape then finish refilling. However if you are doing it in your own back garden some might say it is not unusual to cut a few corners especially as you have already proved how tough the cable is lol. What i personally would not compromise on is the yellow warning tape below the surface of the soil and i would sketch the route of the cable and put it in an envelope and tuck it in behind/beside your consumer unit so that in 20 years time it is still known about. Hope that helps :)

Oh and with regard to cutting the cable to measure diameter - close inspection of the outside and you will usually see the size printed on it !

Edit: however whatever you decide bear in mind that it will have to be in agreement with whoever is going to sign the certificates as any outdoor circuitry is notifiable. I suspect that most part P sparks would not have a problem with signing to 15"-!8" depth and the warning tape.

The correct way of installing an armoured cable adhering to guidance would be to dig a trench (depth dependent on the land usage) then part fill with soft sand , then loosely lay the cable(to allow for earth movement), then some sort of capping, more refill then a yellow warning tape then finish refilling. However if you are doing it in your own back garden some might say it is not unusual to cut a few corners especially as you have already proved how tough the cable is lol. What i personally would not compromise on is the yellow warning tape below the surface of the soil and i would sketch the route of the cable and put it in an envelope and tuck it in behind/beside your consumer unit so that in 20 years time it is still known about. Hope that helps :)

Edit: however whatever you decide bear in mind that it will have to be in agreement with whoever is going to sign the certificates as any outdoor circuitry is notifiable. I suspect that most part P sparks would not have a problem with signing to 15"-!8" depth and the warning tape.

I'm going three foot down and it will be running underneath a path. It's clay soil, no stones (no really!). I have 1.5 Tonnes of sharp sand that I need rid of so I will use that to lay the cable on and then cover. I really like the idea of tucking the map behind the consumer unit! That's a great idea!

Reply to Outdoor Lighting and Summer House Supply in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net