Discuss Outside PIR without a test function in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ok so I have a quinetic switch connected to a relay which turns it into a 2way switch..

I want one output going directly to the lights and the other I want going to the power of the PIR with the switched live of the PIR going to the lights..

I want it this way so when the switch is turned off the PIR output does not keep the light on.

So I have tested and my circuit all works great however all the standalone outside PIR that I have tried have a test function where when power is applied to them they stay of for one cycle depending on how long the timer is set for... This obviously means that when you turn the lights off the pir is activated and the lights stay on, as its a quinetic switch you can't see that its in an on or off position, I have a small indicator light but you wont see it where the switch is but where the switch is will be out of distance for the PIR.

Does anyone know any outdoor PIR standalone where it does not do a test when you first power it on? I want to be able to switch the light switch off and then the lights definitely turn off and then only come on when the PIR is activated.

Ok so I have a quinetic switch connected to a relay which turns it into a 2way switch..

I want one output going directly to the lights and the other I want going to the power of the PIR with the switched live of the PIR going to the lights..

I want it this way so when the switch is turned off the PIR output does not keep the light on.

So I have tested and my circuit all works great however all the standalone outside PIR that I have tried have a test function where when power is applied to them they stay of for one cycle depending on how long the timer is set for... This obviously means that when you turn the lights off the pir is activated and the lights stay on, as its a quinetic switch you can't see that its in an on or off position, I have a small indicator light but you wont see it where the switch is but where the switch is will be out of distance for the PIR.

Does anyone know any outdoor PIR standalone where it does not do a test when you first power it on? I want to be able to switch the light switch off and then the lights definitely turn off and then only come on when the PIR is activated

For anyone interested I found a solution I think of using a double time delay on relay so it delays the switch live of the PIR and the live to the indicator light for the time set on the PIR (2mins ish) so that when the lights are turned off the output of the PIR cannot go to the lights so they will always turn off.

I am interested. I read your original post a few times when you posted it and I'm afraid I couldn't work out what you were trying to do at the time.
I think I now understand that you wanted a switch to control whether some lights are permanently on or under PIR control. The PIR is a separate unit.
You also didn't want the PIR to go into test mode when you made the transition, causing the lights to come on when no-one was actually there.

My initial reaction was why not use a Quinetic receiver paired to a Quientic PIR and a Quientic switch.
I assume the answer is that you didn't want a battery powered PIR.

My next thought was why not power the PIR all the time, take the PIR-activated switched live into one relay contact, a permanent live into the 2nd relay contact, and connect the light from the common relay contact.
So depending on the relay state the light is either "listening" to a PL or the output from the PIR.

I'm interested how you solved this but I don't understand your last post. Could you do a diagram?

I am interested. I read your original post a few times when you posted it and I'm afraid I couldn't work out what you were trying to do at the time.
I think I now understand that you wanted a switch to control whether some lights are permanently on or under PIR control. The PIR is a separate unit.
You also didn't want the PIR to go into test mode when you made the transition, causing the lights to come on when no-one was actually there.

My initial reaction was why not use a Quinetic receiver paired to a Quientic PIR and a Quientic switch.
I assume the answer is that you didn't want a battery powered PIR.

My next thought was why not power the PIR all the time, take the PIR-activated switched live into one relay contact, a permanent live into the 2nd relay contact, and connect the light from the common relay contact.
So depending on the relay state the light is either "listening" to a PL or the output from the PIR.

I'm interested how you solved this but I don't understand your last post. Could you do a diagram?

Hey Tim,

I think you have grasped the problem and yes I did end up leaving the PIR permanently on and switching the switched live but via a on delay relay. It is a commercial area used by a few groups so the problem with your solution is if the PIR is activated and then you turn the lights off then the lights stay on... You just know that someone is going to hit the switch again turning it on and just say its broken and ill get a call out, so the lights need to turn off... Here is the wiring diagram I used, note that the two on delay relays will be set to 2.5mins, the indicator light will just tell people when the PIR is activate so they know its ok to leave and to any potential hoodlums that the security measures are real (The area got burnt down in an arson attack so having new fencing and CCTV etc). The PIR will be set for 2mins..

So even if the PIR has been activated when you turn the lights off they will turn off and 3mins later the switched live will be allowed to go to the lights.. I have just tested it today and it all works as planned.

MS wiring diagram.jpg

Reply to Outside PIR without a test function in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net