Discuss Overloads? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Panel obviously does not meet the requirements of the Machinery, nor Low Voltage Directives, again.
This is becoming a very common theme these days, why I wonder is it that there seems to be an increasing number of panel & machine builders who can't design a panel that complies with statute law?

I think the short answer is probably the same reason there are Cowboys in every trade, because nobody has stopped them and people keep paying them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It may not be compliant with the machine regs but I regularly come across panels a lot worse than that. Just out of interest what's the component that's mounted at the front right of the base of the enclosure?

It's hard to tell but I be guessing at a panel heater to stop condensation :hair:

FFI?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fees For Intervention.

Levied on companies that have a material breach of statute law.

Hopefully these will start to hit home and companies will begin to learn that they need to comply, because not only will they get a PN or an IN, but they will get FFI too, that will cost them out of their bottom line, and they can't insure against enforcement.
It is I think £129/hour currently.

I've seen worse like this work of Art.

Attachments

• 20140912_100808.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20140912_100818.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20140912_100826.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20140912_100841.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 30
I've seen worse like this work of Art.

That's not bad for an old panel.
I've seen & worked on MUCH worse.
However, the statute law is there and it controls new panels.
Hopefully the legislators will soon catch up with the rogue panel builders and buyers and put them out of business, so that those that do it right are competing on a level playing field.

Fees For Intervention.

Levied on companies that have a material breach of statute law.

Hopefully these will start to hit home and companies will begin to learn that they need to comply, because not only will they get a PN or an IN, but they will get FFI too, that will cost them out of their bottom line, and they can't insure against enforcement.
It is I think £129/hour currently.

It sounds like a good move, but still suffers from the relevant authority needing to find out about the problems in the first place

Panel obviously does not meet the requirements of the Machinery, nor Low Voltage Directives, again.
This is becoming a very common theme these days, why I wonder is it that there seems to be an increasing number of panel & machine builders who can't design a panel that complies with statute law?
What are the requirements that it doesn't meet?.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

What are the requirements that it doesn't meet?.

I can see a few what I would class as cosmetic breaches of the BS60204, I would need more info on what this panel does and controls to know if more significant regulations have been ignored, it is usually the case when someone builds a panel and cannot get the basics right like colour coding and marking of cables correct that they will be a high probability that the panel falls far short of requirement.

I can see a few what I would class as cosmetic breaches of the BS60204, I would need more info on what this panel does and controls to know if more significant regulations have been ignored, it is usually the case when someone builds a panel and cannot get the basics right like colour coding and marking of cables correct that they will be a high probability that the panel falls far short of requirement.

I agree darkwood, just wondering what netblindpaul has seen which doesn't comply with the statue laws he mentions.

Although is the colour really a non compliance with BS60204 as numbers are used? Colours or labels or mixture can be used as I interpret it. What's your thoughts?.

What marking of cables do you see wrong?.

I'm not disagreeing with you here just discussing what issues can be seen.

I agree darkwood, just wondering what netblindpaul has seen which doesn't comply with the statue laws he mentions.

Although is the colour really a non compliance with BS60204 as numbers are used? Colours or labels or mixture can be used as I interpret it. What's your thoughts?.

What marking of cables do you see wrong?.

I'm not disagreeing with you here just discussing what issues can be seen.

Blue - DC control
Red - AC control
Black -AC or DC Power circuits

If a N is present then the control DC would be blue and the N an unsaturated (light) blue, as I see it, if they are clearly marked then it can be negated but markers are often lost or illegible over time so the preference is to ensure they are visually identifiable.

I would need more info but I don't see a mains power contactor, isolating TX which may be required but as N conductors are used within the panel then design has to take into account the loss of a N and floating voltages been raised from 230v to 400v thus avoiding this damage to equipment needs to be implemented into design if this issue occured.

Last edited:
Cable colours can be deviated from 60401 if identification is used.

Or if is a particular site standard. I know the water board round here have there own specification that must be followed.

Reply to Overloads? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net