Discuss Passed!!! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nifty

Hi all

I passed my level 2 2330 year 2 final exam today, the practical one with a distinction :)
The science I got a pass and the Regs section I got a distinction so I am really really pleased.

Now I guess this is where it all starts? I asked the tutor what happens now and the response I got was "do level 3" Ok I said.

But I did have a few questions to ask before parting with my £1200 for the course.

1) what happens about the NVQ?
2) I don't work in the trade, can I just pass level 3 and work as a sparky?

The answers were as follows:
1) You must be in full time work as an apprentice to gain your Nvq.
2) No you also need 17th edition/AMC/2392 (or 2391) and the NVQ which is the main one. ! (?)

Ok, I said I cant do the NVQ as I am in full time work and cannot afford to stop work and become a apprentice

The reply was "if you cant do the NVQ then doing the level 3 will only get you the qualification on paper and to work in the trade you will still need the NVQ.

So what have I been studying for the last 2 years for?! :(

Absolutely gutted!!

Is there any way around this NVQ ????????
any places I can go and do it ????????? (online?)
Do I really have to be in full time employment (or as an apprentice) as a sparky to complete this ???????

I feel I have now wasted 2 years, Yes I know I could work along side someone who has the level 3 but I would always be reliant on someone else :(

Ok I could still go and do level 3 but what will I actually gain at the end of it if I am not able to complete a NVQ because I don't work in the trade?

The idea of the course for me was to use this as a back up if anything happens to my current job in the future (thinking 5 years down the line)

Help?

Regards
Nifty

Thank you-when I first went for the qualification I was so far away from ever thinking I would complete it so I am so chuffed :))

So after reading that Mickey it sounds like I have wasted my 2 years since I cant do the NVQ :(

I was always under the impression that level two, level three then go for your 2394 and 2395 (2391) 17th edition exam were all decent qualifications that an electrician can get on with.

That's exactly what I was told when I started the course 2 years ago...and was still told the same at the start of year 2.

Then straight after passing my 8 hour practical I spoke to the tutor asking him about the 3rd year and that's when he hit me with that bombshell.

Mickey, I take it your in the same situation as me - working full time not in the trade and unable to get the NVQ because of it??

What are your plans? because I read your link and unless your working in the trade its a no go.

I'm actually very fortunate to be working in the trade. I managed to find someone to let me work one day a week for apprentice wages whilst I worked 5 days and then college on the other day. It was tough but worth it. I now work 5 days for the same guy.

My point being is no one has ever told me I need the nvq. Is it worth having? I must admit, After this post I've been thinking about it a bit more

Cheers Mickey,

I really need some advice on what options I have now as I don't want to waste all the hard work I have done.

Mickey, as your working in the trade and don't have the Nvq who, and when would someone actually chase this up from you??

Thanks again
Nifty

Cheers Mickey,

I really need some advice on what options I have now as I don't want to waste all the hard work I have done.

Mickey, as your working in the trade and don't have the Nvq who, and when would someone actually chase this up from you??

Thanks again
Nifty

I actually have no idea...it would be good if some of the more experienced guys could shed some light here?

I looked on the jib website and it says that if you don't have the nvq then they would grade you as an electrical improver?

theres loads on my course in the same boat, were in the final year and 75% of the class have never even been on a site!, tbf i did mention to some in the class in the firs year that they best try and get a foot in the door then, they done nothing and now the finish line is in sight they are going to hit a brick wall and wish they had listened. one is even splashing out on the 2391, i dont even think he has ever seen a 3 phase db!,, scary realy.

my advice to anyone who wants to be a spark is get a job as a mate to pick it up WHEN YOU START THE COURSE, or you will get to the end and have a few worthless bits of paper.

theres loads on my course in the same boat, were in the final year and 75% of the class have never even been on a site!, tbf i did mention to some in the class in the firs year that they best try and get a foot in the door then, they done nothing and now the finish line is in sight they are going to hit a brick wall and wish they had listened. one is even splashing out on the 2391, i dont even think he has ever seen a 3 phase db!,, scary realy.

my advice to anyone who wants to be a spark is get a job as a mate to pick it up WHEN YOU START THE COURSE, or you will get to the end and have a few worthless bits of paper.

As much as I agree with what your saying. There's nothing from stoping someone getting a job as a mate now that they have left college. The bits of paper aren't worthless, your just behind everyone else. It takes determination, alot of it! But if your determined enough to get out there then you'll be fine.

Nothing is going to come to you sat indoors worrying about it thou. Do your level three and put your name into a lot of companies. Ask them to take you out one day a week. From what I've seen you'll have to ask the same company several times before they say yes. So don't be afraid to keep asking.

This would of been difficult for me as I can not afford to drop to a electricians mates wage, if I was just out of school then that would be perfect.
But thank you for your input.

I will carry on with my course and start the level 3 in September and I just hope that after passing that and the 17th,2392 etc it falls into place and when I eventually need to use it I can.

Thanks to all that have replied but if anyone else can add anything please do.

Regards
Nifty

This would of been difficult for me as I can not afford to drop to a electricians mates wage, if I was just out of school then that would be perfect.
But thank you for your input.

I will carry on with my course and start the level 3 in September and I just hope that after passing that and the 17th,2392 etc it falls into place and when I eventually need to use it I can.

Thanks to all that have replied but if anyone else can add anything please do.

Regards
Nifty
its usualy around £10ph,,, im sure you could manage to live on that, if your earning more than that atm and in a secure job i think you need to reconsider being a spark.

Hi Yamar,

I am in a pretty secure job, well as secure as a job goes I guess...I've been doing this work for just under 17 years now and have always wondered.........what if I became a sparky.

Also to be honest I am using this as a backup in case anything does happen to my current job, so if I can get the qualifications now and in 3,4, or 5 years time something happens to my job ie: boss retires, boss sells up etc etc I would have the electricians qualification to fall back on....

Do I want to be doing the work I do now for the rest of my life? NO WAY!

I've spent 2 years so far going to college for 2 nights a week so that is a pretty big commitment for me and will be going back for my 3rd year soon.

I guess its kind of "is the grass greener"..............we always wonder

Reply to Passed!!! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net