Discuss PAT testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gordie

My brother in law has his own construction business and he has asked me to carry out a PAT test on his hand held tools etc. Do I need to be a member of SELECT or the NIC to be able to do this.

Just normal checks I think. I was fairly sure I did'nt need to be I know a guy up here who does it as a second job and he is not a member. Thanks for your help

Just normal checks I think. I was fairly sure I did'nt need to be I know a guy up here who does it as a second job and he is not a member. Thanks for your help
go ahead mate....get em patted for him.....you dont need to be part of one of these schemes to pat test (regardless of what they would have you believe)....not unless theres a specific requirement.....such as local/education authoroty.....

go ahead mate....get em patted for him.....you dont need to be part of one of these schemes to pat test (regardless of what they would have you believe)....not unless theres a specific requirement.....such as local/education authoroty.....

Thanks for your advise it is a real help

but this is it Old......you dont need to hold relevent certs (C&G2377)...unless they ask for it.....

Yes I agree I am not a scheme member and only got my 2377 to cross my Ts as it were even although I was not required to have it but he will still need documentation even only for auditing remember this is not required if everything is ok its only when something goes wrong then they look for documentation.

Also poster if you need some PAT docs pm me with your email address and I will send you the templates

Yes I agree I am not a scheme member and only got my 2377 to cross my Ts as it were even although I was not required to have it but he will still need documentation even only for auditing remember this is not required if everything is ok its only when something goes wrong then they look for documentation.Also poster if you need some PAT docs pm me with your email address and I will send you the templates
Hi its [email protected] thanks

Documentation is the name of the game ie PAT docs tester calibration certificate and a copy of your qualifications
Is holding the 2377 a Scottish law thing, or something for your own piece of mind? It's certainly not required in Northern Ireland.

In agreement with the general opinion of this thread but to add to this and just a thought to put into the back of your mind is if someone is killed on an item you recently passed then you will have to show some form of competence and knowledge and nothing will cover you better than a C&G 2377.
Items do get damaged days, weeks months after tests have been done but if your unfortunate to be in such a situe then you'll need to use whatever experience and certs you have as your proof of competence. As yours is for your mate its unlikely you need to worry about any of this but if you wanna take it up on a more frequent basis then yes id take the exam.
The amount of already passed PAT equipment that has illegal plugs, etc etc that i know was like that with the previous tester is unbelievable not to mention the fixed equipment thats been ignored during the test i come across (because its not got a plug top on so is believed it dosn't fall under the scope of the PAT).
I dont believe you need the 2377 to be competent as long as you can show it, but to re-iterate its a good thing to have if anything goes wrong.

Is holding the 2377 a Scottish law thing, or something for your own piece of mind? It's certainly not required in Northern Ireland.

D80 you are correct you do not require the 2377 in Scotland and I have enough qualifications to cover me but after spending £465 for a KT71 PAT bundle £30 for the COP and £50 for personilised labels I thought the £190 for a 6 week (night class) course at my local technical college was worth having plus although I do not do a lot of PAT testing I need it as a part of my services plus my PAT testing included electronic documentation and that include a copy of the testers calibration certificate and my C&G qualification funny thing is I do work for a couple of letting agents plus I sent a email flyer to a some more LAs and only one asked for "documentry proof" ie are you qualified to do PAT testing

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a college certificate from years ago for pat testing pre: c&g2377 days. I have decided to return to pat testing but will not do so until I have completed the current C&G 2377 course at Stow college on monday 23rd april. I will also be going for C&G 2382 on may 23rd. Competence is very hard to prove if you do not hold any revelant certification keep yourself right get certificated.

Check with Stow what course you will do as they are currently advertising the two quals as 2377/11 & 12 - new one is 21 & 22 Stow Courses | The Testing of Portable Appliances (C&G 2377)

Got to laugh,
Lower Entry Level Courses Inspection, Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations (C&G 2391-10)
in no way is 2391 a lower level course - whoever wrote that one was on crack.

Out of interest how much are they charging for 2377 & 2382?

I noted they have said the testing of Portable Appliances but up here in Edinburgh Stevenson College are advertising is as In Service Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipments as per the COP

ohreally
"Out of interest how much are they charging for 2377 & 2382?"

The c&g 2377-12 is £340.00 ( Level 3 certificate for the inspection & testing of electrical equipment )
The c&G 2382-12 is £480.00 ( full qualification )
These are day time courses

The c&G 2382-12 is £370.00
Night time course

Reply to PAT testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net