Discuss Pick up trucks... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TJC1

-
Reaction score
Does anyone use a pickup truck for work? Thinking of investing in one but not sure on how practical they are, does anyone have an pictures/examples on how they use it....

Hi,i suppose it depends more on the work you generally do.

Yep,they look good,and are ideal for daily load/unload of larger equipment,which can bare the weather.

Any amount of valuable/delicate gear,will have to go on seats or floor. If you have a load lid,or pick-up body,or similar,it's reaching in or shuffling on yer knees,like a 1700's cornish miner...

Any ladders,or longer gear,needs a dedicated rack system,or angled over the cab/crew-cab,like a Taliban mobile rocket launcher...

It will generally be heavier on fuel,tyres,and other items,if 4x4,etc.

All me tradee pals,who swapped their vans,for pick-ups,swapped back to a van,even if they kept the pick-up,and all of them,complain of friends/relatives/neighbours,asking them to move every fridge,chair and pile of rubbish.....usually at a weekend.

......but they look mighty fine,parked with the steering on full lock,next to the butty van ;)

Near on the same as above, but with an emphasis on fuel consumption !
And I did hear the back end of last year, that they were going to change the tax rating somehow to screw us doubly hard on them.

I've got a Mitsubishi L200 Animal in black complete with hard roof load lid and chrome bull bars all round. I've put bigger wheels and tyres on it so it looks awesome. I love the truck there's something about it that is appealing which I cannot really put my finger on. Down sides are pretty much as Peg stated. For practical purposes not much better than a decent estate car (other than in the snow or off road tracks which this beast loves!) But I am considering parting with it and investing in a custom crew cab sport van, which should be cheaper to run and more practical for general day to day use.
But if I'm honest if I could afford to I wouldn't consider parting with my Animal, well except maybe for one of those new Ford Ranger all black beasts.

Yep,they are handy,although the DPF delete job,EGR'S and timing belts,are catching a few of my pals,out.?

The Rangers look and drive sweet,but keep close to the warranty,as Ford cannot fix,some of the fuel/electrical problems.

Sound like a right gloomster,don't i...

I run out of my,now twenty year old Patrol...perfect,for me and what i need....and i expect a "thank you" card,from Greta Thunberg,for not wasting energy and using unneccessary resources,on a new electric vehicle ??

I used a Nissan Navarra for 30 months to work out of and the more I used it, the more I hated it. I didn’t mean to roll it in the snow (and I lost a packet on it) but I was much happier working out of a Peugeot Expert for the next 5 years whilst I paid it off.

Reply to Pick up trucks... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net