Discuss PLC question for beginner...again? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys - I've got a Mitsubishi FX-24MR PLC that I'd like to check the terminal configuration. I'm new and learning the ropes here so I'd appreciate feedback.

I can see the top left-side (if looking at the PLC the right way up) has the power input (230VAC) - as for the 24v and 0v... is that my control input (separate 24v supply required?) or is it internally transformed and rectified to be an output? I understand I want the S/S connected up to sink (0v) so I'll link it with my DC 0v and am I right in thinking the RUN is connected to 24vdc to start the PLC..? I'll just link that across if so, so the PLC runs on start.

Thank you. I hope that made sense.

PLC question for beginner...again? 20190417_190440 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi guys - I've got a Mitsubishi FX-24MR PLC that I'd like to check the terminal configuration. I'm new and learning the ropes here so I'd appreciate feedback.

I can see the top left-side (if looking at the PLC the right way up) has the power input (230VAC) - as for the 24v and 0v... is that my control input (separate 24v supply required?) or is it internally transformed and rectified to be an output? I understand I want the S/S connected up to sink (0v) so I'll link it with my DC 0v and am I right in thinking the RUN is connected to 24vdc to start the PLC..? I'll just link that across if so, so the PLC runs on start.

View attachment 48879

I've sorted it now. It is an internal power supply. Just not sure what to do with the RUN terminal

Just looks like a remote input for Run, give it a try and see if the unit goes from stop to run when connected.
BTW - if you want to play with the unit , download the appropriate hardware manual for how to connect inputs and outputs and the software manual for programming. Been a while since i have touched a Melsec but they are straight forward

Hi, hope you don't mind me chipping in. I'm all Allen-Bradley myself, have been for years, but I did cut my teeth on Mitsubishi. I have GX Developer myself. I think you will find the manuals quite easy to follow, so I hope you have lots of fun with it. If there is anything I may be able to help with, I will certainly try.

I'm looking to learn about PLC's and have got hold of an Mitsubishi FX2n-64MT for free brand new in the box ,it was going in the skip but I kept it back

Can anyone tell me is this a unit that I can learn basics on?
ie is there free software available ?

Should be suitable for a test rig setup. You can download the wiring manual on the Web.
I've heard there is free software. Gx developer is the genuine programming software. You'll also need a programming cable. There's a few on ebay, yellow coloured with USB connection. Good luck!

I'm looking to learn about PLC's and have got hold of an Mitsubishi FX2n-64MT for free brand new in the box ,it was going in the skip but I kept it back

Can anyone tell me is this a unit that I can learn basics on?
ie is there free software available ?
Hello

IMO PLCs are very reasonably priced and use the industry standard ladder symbols.
Software is also free.
They are a good starting point.

But it really depends on what you are looking to achieve? And where you want to end up?

Do you want to build a custom central heating zoned control system?
Or design an automated scrubber system for use at an offshore gas terminal?

Home automation is very different to industrial...
Industrial is moving almost completely towards Rockwell nowadays (despite what Mitsi and Siemens fans will tell you).
But Allen Bradley is massively overkill for smaller projects. And expensive. And a bit too complicated if you've never seen it before/will rarely look at it for maintenance/upgrades/etc.

To through a spanner in the works... Domestic automation can now be pretty much all covered by use of Raspberry Pis. So is it worth learning PLCs for smaller projects? Better to learn some basic electronics and buy a £20 quid Pi starter kit and a bit of reading online?

(To state my position: I do industrial work. And have never been in the same room as a Raspberry Pi.)

What would you eventually want to do with PLC knowledge?

Cheers, SP

Hello

IMO PLCs are very reasonably priced and use the industry standard ladder symbols.
Software is also free.
They are a good starting point.

But it really depends on what you are looking to achieve? And where you want to end up?

Do you want to build a custom central heating zoned control system?
Or design an automated scrubber system for use at an offshore gas terminal?

Home automation is very different to industrial...
Industrial is moving almost completely towards Rockwell nowadays (despite what Mitsi and Siemens fans will tell you).
But Allen Bradley is massively overkill for smaller projects. And expensive. And a bit too complicated if you've never seen it before/will rarely look at it for maintenance/upgrades/etc.

To through a spanner in the works... Domestic automation can now be pretty much all covered by use of Raspberry Pis. So is it worth learning PLCs for smaller projects? Better to learn some basic electronics and buy a £20 quid Pi starter kit and a bit of reading online?

(To state my position: I do industrial work. And have never been in the same room as a Raspberry Pi.)

What would you eventually want to do with PLC knowledge?

Cheers, SP

I work in Industrial automation, to say it's completely moving towards Rockwell is a strange statement, I work on my many new Siemens systems, PLC, SCADA and PCS7. Power stations, packaging, baggage handling systems to name but a few.

Really it's to broaden my horizons
I'm in a new job with some plc work not done any yet training at some point in the future but its mainly just checking the program when there are issues, no programming as such but it's no reason not to learn for myself

This is a good book covering multiple brands for programming logic, Mitsubishi Siemens rockwell erc

W. Bolton has written quite a lot of useful books.

If you want a cheap PLC to play with the automation direct click ones are really cheap.

[automerge]1569522679[/automerge]

View attachment 48879

Have you got the software to program it? Ou can normally pick the cables up from eBay but the software is often a few £100, the modern stuff can be £1000’s.

Reply to PLC question for beginner...again? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock