Discuss Please advice me on my electrical dilema so i don't get fried.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

elf4o2022

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everybody i am new here.

I will explain to you my electrical dilema.

I hired recently rented parking space... so far so good.
Unfortunately it lacks electricial sockets.
I have spoken with the owner to provide at least 1 socket so i can charge my car battery since i dont drive it very often...
Owner of the rented parking space which is underground have took some wires and cables and attached them to some place i dont know where, he told me that he and i dont have access to Main fuse of that place....
To me his socket looks very unsecure and made installed from child.... also there are some cables... around.

I personally dont want to be fried since i know a lot of people in hospital and from electrical injuries i am not electrical guy my self..
image 2022 04 10 023749873 — Postimages - https://postimg.cc/hXbKPTyx i am also attaching photo which is the only one i have in the far away you can see the power socket...

So i can say to me it looks like very unstable and unsafe power installation.
So here is what i have done i bought APC - extender with several sockets surge protection and ground check as well...
So i plan to insert it when i need to use my car battery charger and to remove it when i dont need it.... not sure how often this will be yet probably at least once a week.
in case someone needed specs of my car charger here is it... MXS 7.0 UK - https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-chargers-12v-24v/mxs-7-0-uk

I am not sure how safe is to insert my apc surge protector extender into the socket which is from the owner , so my question is do i need to buy - Not sure how you call these in english i think they are called Dielectrical gloves
Electrical-insulating gloves and protectors are made of dielectric materials to protect workers from electrical shock. I plan to buy level 00 they are also quite expensive around 25$ -25euro-25gbp.
Do i need these gloves ,how safe is to be with naked hands inside power outlet socket with 240 volts inside at least?
If you think i need or i dont need the gloves let me known please, also do i need additional equipment i want to be safe not fried electrecuted...
My topic is serious please tell me what do you think...
If you have more questions let me known.

Last edited:
Do i need these gloves ,how safe is to be with naked hands inside power outlet socket with 240 volts inside at least?
The simple fact you need to ask is answering your question - under NO circumstances should you attempt to work on a live system!

It is not just the risk of electric shock you have to consider, you also have the risk of arc-flash leading to 3rd degree burns and/or eye damage/blindness, and it sound like you lack any suitable test equipment to verify the circuit even if you managed to complete the work without an accident.

Really this is a job for a professional electrician and it requires the consent of the building operator who will arrange access to the supply along with the power supply company if it requiers the main fuse to be removed. Really I cannot imagine any building where one section lacks some negotiated access to the power supply arrangement. After all who reads the power meter and bills them?

There is a way to upload photos direct, but I think there may be a limitation for new members(?)

I’ve saved it, so here it is.

73279BA7-0113-41C6-BD35-EED0637FEA4E.png

Doesn’t look very professional to me.

You are right to be concerned about safety.
There should be standards for EV charging facilities in your country (sorry, couldn’t work out where… BG?)

As above. Don’t use it until its safe

There is a way to upload photos direct, but I think there may be a limitation for new members(?)

I’ve saved it, so here it is.

View attachment 96732

Doesn’t look very professional to me.

You are right to be concerned about safety.
There should be standards for EV charging facilities in your country (sorry, couldn’t work out where… BG?)

As above. Don’t use it until its safe
I read it that he has a normal car, but needs to top up the car battery due to infrequent use.

You must not work on a live system. Even for professionals, it goes wrong sometimes:

A much simpler and safer solution for your car battery needing a boost is to get a portable power pack that can be charged elsewhere, and connected to your car to help it start. Something like this:
1649588638649.png

You must not work on a live system. Even for professionals, it goes wrong sometimes:
I don't get that the OP is going to work on a 'live system'!

I understood that he is proposing to put the plug of his APC socket strip into the receptacle provided by the garage owner, but he is sufficiently cautious about the dubious installation that he is suggesting wearing dielectric gloves To do it.
Then he will plug his battery charger in the APC socket strip, which he presumably feels more comfortable doing!

I would have suggested maybe using a socket tester first!

This is in Bulgaria, correct?

While it is very bad practice to install a socket with defective earthing (grounding) the charger almost certainly doesn't need a ground connection. If this is the case, then bad wiring to the socket won't create a risk of shock when using the charger. Therefore if there is 230V power at the socket, your safest option is probably not to interfere with it, just plug in the charger and use it. The less involved you get, the better.

The current required by the charger is low, 1.2A maximum, so even if the cable is the wrong size or the connections are not well made, nothing is likely to catch fire. The greatest danger would then perhaps be if the fuse is not correctly sized for the cable, which you can't know or put right from the socket end. By all means plug in your extension cable so that you don't have to handle the suspect socket more than needed. But don't read too much into the ground test function, they can still give ' good' indications when the grounding is not really adequate.

Last edited:
I don't get that the OP is going to work on a 'live system'!

I understood that he is proposing to put the plug of his APC socket strip into the receptacle provided by the garage owner, but he is sufficiently cautious about the dubious installation that he is suggesting wearing dielectric gloves To do it.
Then he will plug his battery charger in the APC socket strip, which he presumably feels more comfortable doing!

I would have suggested maybe using a socket tester first!
Ah yes, I had read it as they proposed to fix/replace the dodgy sockets, not simply to plug something in!

But still if the general appearance and "feel" of the situation is such that insulated gloves come to mind then probably better to get the installation professionally checks/fixed first!

Hi all i cannot make any modification to the existing infrastructure so i cant replace cables, sockets etcs... i dont own the place...

Yes i will be working on live system, i cannot turn it off since i dont have access to fuse in order to turn it off.
i dont have any option to charge my car batteries else where so thats all my option i have..

Let me summarize it - i wont be working i will simply install into live socket another socket extender in order to be able to put inside my car battery charger....
i wont do any modifications etcs..

My apologies for having caused confusion. I think a certain amount was lost in translation and the word "install" confused me, when that isn't the intent at all, as others have pointed out.
Yeah, just plug it in!

My apologies for having caused confusion. I think a certain amount was lost in translation and the word "install" confused me, when that isn't the intent at all, as others have pointed out.
Yeah, just plug it in!
So just to double confirm i dont need any gloves including dielectrical and i will be fine in this risky installation?

Reply to Please advice me on my electrical dilema so i don't get fried.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net