Discuss Please help!!!!!!! Trainee in distress! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

V=IR

-
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am about halfway through level 2 2365 Electrical Installations level 2, I have just started on the topic of cable selection Ib...In ...Vd etc... I feel like my tutor is pacing the whole group way too fast and we have plenty of time to sit the exam, he's already tried booking the exam and city and guilds said it's too early, I feel like I cannot absorb a lot of information from him as he just speeds through the lesson, I am autistic which can make the lesson difficult sometimes as it is absorbing information. I've spoken to additional learning support and the curriculum leader but feels like I'm getting nowhere :/, I successfully completed my level 3 qualification in PAT testing , my level of understanding electrics is not the issue its the Math , particularly transposing formula and understanding formula such as triangles etc and I haven't studied transformer theory yet. If there's anyone out there willing to help me understand this a bit better I'd be very grateful, cheers! was wondering if this could be posted in main general area too as not many people are in this thread, thanks :)

Hi I have Autism which is a disorder that can effect people in many different ways it's best to Google search what it is

I have several friends,and two family members,who are affected to differing degrees,with diagnosed forms of autism.

When i was at senior school,in the 70's,various schoolmates were diagnosed by some teachers,using the tried and tested method of informing the individual,in front of the form,that they were an "ignorant distraction and not worthy of assistance..."

Thankfully,we have come a long way :)

The OP has been frank enough to describe his dilemma,and i hope we can assist.

I reckon,if you have identified the issue as being the mathematics,then isolate your learning,to that area.
There are some really excellent tutorial books,for guiding youngsters towards entrance exams,for senior school.

These have well thought out,explanations,of transposing,and many other equation tools.

Ignore the electrical bit,just concentrate on getting confident with the calculations,and when they are swapped for the real thing - it won't matter.

Good luck,dude :)

Moveing formulas about is easy if practice with what you know ....

But it does envolve fractions ..!

10 = 2 x 5 (2 hands and 10 digits ( of 5 fingers+thumbs))

------- = 5

----- = 2 ............ it's a combination only 3 possible

Triangles are the new approach but learn one or the other !
Hide unknown with finger ..!

Last edited:
The way they teach it at college for formulas is a = b+c make c the subject which I think the answer is c = b-a but I get so stuck with it

Moveing formulas about is easy if practice with what you know ....

But it does envolve fractions ..!

10 = 2 x 5 (2 hands and 10 digits ( of 5 fingers+thumbs))

------- = 5

----- = 2 ............ it's a combination only 3 possible

Triangles are the new approach but learn one or the other !
Hide unknown with finger ..!

I'm high functioning on the autism spectrum, I left school at 15 and went back to college to train because it'
Something I've always wanted to do. School days were difficult as I wasn'
Diagnosed until two years ago so school was pretty horrible. Simple things like diversity and conduit and trunking factors are not a problem it'
More the formulas triangles and flemmings right hand rule I can'
Get my head around, with cable selection the thing that bothers me is trying to find everything in OSG

I have several friends,and two family members,who are affected to differing degrees,with diagnosed forms of autism.

When i was at senior school,in the 70's,various schoolmates were diagnosed by some teachers,using the tried and tested method of informing the individual,in front of the form,that they were an "ignorant distraction and not worthy of assistance..."

Thankfully,we have come a long way :)

The OP has been frank enough to describe his dilemma,and i hope we can assist.

I reckon,if you have identified the issue as being the mathematics,then isolate your learning,to that area.
There are some really excellent tutorial books,for guiding youngsters towards entrance exams,for senior school.

These have well thought out,explanations,of transposing,and many other equation tools.

Ignore the electrical bit,just concentrate on getting confident with the calculations,and when they are swapped for the real thing - it won't matter.

Good luck,dude :)

re-a rranging formulae is not as difficult as it first looks. just consider that whatever you do to 1 side of the equation ( e.g. subtract a value) y udo the same to the other. so:

a = b +c ,

to get c on it's own, tou subtract b,

therefore yo bust subtract b from the other side,

so
a- b = c.

same applies to add, multilpy and divide.

Ok I think I have an idea what Autism is. So first I want to say that everyone who does these calculations except for the savants, have the same difficulty as you. Have you not noticed how your classmates are dealing with the same thing? One of my classmates had a very bad time getting to grips with them. I think the thing is people try to understand straight away, rather than remember these things. First listen to what you are told and try to remember it. It is fatal to try to understand it straight away. Having begun to remember it do worked examples. I highly recommend the book Andrew Butler's Basic Electrical Formulae as you become more familiar with what is an alien concept you will begin to understand what you are doing.

What's that book like Vortigern?

a bit like any other book.it's got pages with writing on them.

41fjObcrTLL.jpg

and itlikes for peeps to read it.

What's that book like Vortigern?
It has all the basic formulas for an electrician, like HP working it out, resistivity, Pf, resistors in parallel and series and so on. It is laid out nice and simple but it has it all at the basic level which is what I am. It is old but the formulas have not changed except the Cmin/max introduction with Amd 3. If you look on Amazon for it you get to read a few pages which will give you a better idea. You can get it on Kindle as well.

Reply to Please help!!!!!!! Trainee in distress! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net