Discuss Please need some help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lim15

Hello

I am new to the forum but would like to ask you for some help.
I am doing my electrician course and for that course have to complete some assessments. There is few questions in witch i struggle, This is my third time when they ask me to correct some of the questions. I am posting what I have done my answered questions and with no answer maybe somebody could help me a bit with them and check the answered one as well.

Anyway the questions are:

Question 1

1 a) State three types of building materials an electrician would
encounter during electrical installation work.

wood, breeze block, asbestos,...?

b) *State three areas of external influences which may affect the
installation.

Ambient temperature,
Capability of persons,
Construction materials,

Question 2
What parties would be consulted during the design process for an installation and what regulations would be considered during that time.

Question 3
What is the *difference between a circuit diagram and a
location diagram as used in electrical installation work.

A circuit diagram shows how a circuit operates, how it interacts and operates not necessarily how it physically looks. A location diagram would show the physical location or layout of wiring and components but not how it is connected or how it operates.

Question 4
State* three factors which will result in a Periodic Inspection being
required.

CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY,
any major change of electrical loading
where there is a reason to believe there has been damage to the installation

Question 5
a) State in the correct sequence, the first three tests to be carried
out on a newly completed lighting circuit.

test the continuity of circuit protective and bonding conductors,
carry out an insulation resistance,
test the polarity

b) State the three test currents used to confirm the compliance of
a 30mA RCD protecting equipment located outdoors.

Question 6
*At the completion of an electrical installation, it is inspected and
tested. State the
a) necessary paperwork to be completed and handed to the
customer/client

Following completion of inspection and testing, an electrical installation certificate, together with particulars of the electrical installation and a schedule of test results, must be provided to the person who ordered the work. It must be signed three times (by the designer, the installer and the inspector/tester) to certify that the installation has been designed, constructed, inspected and tested in accordance with BS 7671 (BS 7671 the 16th Edition of the lEE Wiring Regulations).
but a single-signature version of the certificate may be used where design, construction, inspection and testing are all the work of the same person.

b) responsibility of the electrical contractor with regard to
periodic inspections

The electrical contractor should make sure that:
make sure your electrical circuits and equipment are not overloaded
make sure all the wiring is safe
test all electrical appliances.
check for potential electrical shock risks
check for electrical fire hazards

c)responsibility of the electrical contractor who carries out minor
additions or alterations to an installation in terms of completing
paperwork.

The contractor should issue the Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate that the minor electrical installation work has been designed, constructed inspected, tested and verified in accordance with the national standard for the safety of electrical installation British Standards BS7671 (AS AMENDED)

Question 7
State one application for each of the following voltages, in relation to the distribution of energy
a) 230v
b) 11Kv
400/230v.

Question 8
Describe three factors which influence the choice of repair or replacement of faulty electrical equipment.

*a. Cost – if cost is the main factor, then the relative cost of either replacement or repair will be considered.
b. Availability of parts – the choice of replacement or repair will be influenced by the availability of replacement parts.
c. Downtime – the quickest method of replacement or repair will be employed, regardless of cost.

or d. legal responsibilities, warranties etc.

Question 9
State three activities for which a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate should be issued.

Addition of the point(s) to existing circuit
Addition of socket outlet to existing circuit etc
Require Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate

Question 10
State three factors which may affect the rectification of a fault on an item of electrical equipment.

a. Access – eg furnaces may be hot and need to cool
tanks containing liquid may need to be drained
b. Provision of an emergency supply such as in a hospital
c. Client demand for a continuous supply eg IT installation, need for standby supply.

I would really appreciate if anybody could help me with the questions above.

Thank you.

I'm not going to be greedy so I'll do the first question b) *State three areas of external influences which may affect the
installation.

Ambient temperature, right
Capability of persons, hmmmmm love the idea but perhaps but moisture or dampness is better
Construction materials, hmmmmmmmmmm flora or fauna

Question 4
State* three factors which will result in a Periodic Inspection being
required.

change of tenancy

request of mortgage company

on change of use of the premises

to access compliance with bs 7671

any of the above

1 a) Enviroment
Utilisation
Construction of buildings

1 b) lose asbestos and put in plasterboard instead

Last edited by a moderator:
9. a. any modification to a circuit. b. uprating of earthing/bonding. c. any other minor alteration.

(i may be wrong on b. might require EIC as characteristics of install altered.)

Last edited:
Question 2 Parties: Client, main contractor, sub contractor, architect, designer. Regulations Eawr, Health and safety at work act 1974, Bs 7671:2008 wiring regs .

Question 2 Parties: Client, main contractor, sub contractor, architect, designer. Regulations Eawr, Health and safety at work act 1974, Bs 7671:2008 wiring regs .
and building regulations ( the pee word )

Question 6
Electrical Installation Certificate
Schedule of Test Results
Schedule of Inspections
NOTE: it is to 17th edition not 16th.

Question 9
Additional socket to existing circuit
Additional lighting point to existing circuit
Replacement of an item (except a fuse board)

Q. 5
CPC continuity using either the R1+R2 or R2 method.
Insulation resistance test
Dead Polarity.
(can be argued that dead polarity is achieved undertaking R1+R2)

Reply to Please need some help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net